Maximum legal mainsheet purchase for maricat 4.3

Dudman

6 to 1, unless you are "special" then up to 8 to 1, ie: small, young, old.............or any other reason you can think of...

But...........remember the more purchases, the more rope, slower to sheet in, harder to let it out........

Low profile 6 to 1 is best.......use the smallest sized rope that you think you can hang onto........skinny rope runs through the blocks better but is harder to hold.

Seeing as we dont have an assoc any more I reckon its open slather, no nats no states, no class measurer, I'll be looking at a carbon fibre mast next season, with a square top main, barber haulers on the jib sheets, maybe even a foil of some sort, a Kite will be a must! Legal, whats that, legal was only while we had an assoc to make rules and regs, they're gone, let the good times roll.

you shouldn't need more than 6:1 unless you're small/frail/young and like Rodney says 8:1 means a lot of rope which has the habit of running off the back and causing problems. I use 'dinghy light' I think it's called which is more like 7mm. It goes through the Harken micro blocks (the 19mm ones) and the 8mm doesn't. It's cheap too! just over $1 pm.

If you have trouble changing the sail shape then there are things you can do, like cut back the mast rotation stops - Hotshot Mick has his cut back in line with the shrouds. This allows the mast to rotate more which allows it to bend more when you pull the sheet in. Also the downhaul can be used, 6:1 is quite normal, on the Eastwind sail I had you could pull it down and see the mast bend and the sail flatten.

Rodney, wasn't there a resolution at one of the (last) meetings or agms of the Maricat Association that released the restrictions on 8:1 mainsheets - I've never been to one but I just seem to remember something about it. I think I thought about it and once my brain stopped hurting I realised that it would cost so much for a system (one quad roller and one quad with becket, ratchet and cleat) so I stopped.

Mick should know, he usually makes the rules up as required!!

I have seen a Harken device that has a small block attached to the top to make a quad, it was at the chandlers near Speers Point and cost $340 I think - I moved on quickly!

Most of us use ex yacht blocks, I think my bottom block must be 65mm. It kept jamming in (just when I didn't want it jammed - ie on a screaming reach as the bow goes into the wave in front) so I butchered a single block with ratchet and cleat and put a small double harken with becket on top. It's good enough for me and allows me to adjust the angle of the cleat. I think it came from the jib sheets originally (my boat came with neat Aboriginal coloured main and jib).

The sheet length for 6:1 is ten metres so 8:1 would be about 14metres so not too much more money, just a LOT of knitting.

So the answer is yes. Darcy would have told you the same I think (or were you just checking!). Jason used to sail with that format and the Maricat rules specifically allow that for juniors.

Just out of interest how do you get 7:1. I've not seen the setup, looked but didn't register but you presumably have a quad block on the boom and a quad on the traveller. This would give 8:1. You'd be able to tell by measuring it, you should get 8m of free line for each metre of movement at the boom. Try it, I'm interested - if you let the top block out until it hits the front beam (ie not attached to the boom). Measure a metre down the footstraps and then pull on the mainsheet until the block gets to the mark. I'd bet you'll have pulled 8m through.

OK: here: http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=28-71&Category_Code=C-M&Store_Code=MS is what they call a Harken 7:1, I can see what's happening but can't see why the little block is only doing half a job.

This is 8:1 http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=28-81&Category_Code=C-M&Store_Code=MS and I understand this one.

KO