Anyone Seen Any Stingrays???

There's a 1975 vintage Stingray that makes occasional appearances on Pittwater, last seen by me in May. Green colour, called Owzat! from memory, can't remember the s/n. It's owned by a local at Bayview but I don't know his name. Not a lot of use, sorry.

I had an old one 12 years ago also on Pittwater, but it was heavily modified as a day-sailer, so not really a Stingray any more - beam 2.7m, Prindle main, solid deck & cuddy. It was still at Church Pt for a fe years but I haven't seen it for quite a while.

Thanks Guys!

Jeff - If you happen to stumble upon these sailors in the near future would you be able to get some contact details for them? PS. Good to know I wasn't the only Cat having swimming lessons at Hazelwood last Monday!

Harry - Does your "Dead" have any "alive" gear on it? Where abouts are you - Any spares (mast, centreboards, rudders, etc) that you don't want I'd love to get my hands on them (for a price of course wink.gif)

Email addresses etc would be great - I am trying to put together some sort of a contact list. And for those that are no longer sailing I'm trying to get those boats back on the water (in new hands or old)

G'day Mitch, unfortunately most of the parts on the dead cat have died with it. the sails are only good to use as shade sails, the mast of course is still good and is still rigged. The hulls are fibreglass and still good but all woodwork on it has found a better resting place. I think the hulls were built by Aurora boats in Queanbeyan. I have built a new set of centre boards for it as I am going to need those for when and if the biplane rig idea ever takes off. For what it's worth I'm in Nowra on the South Coast of NSW.

Harry

Hey there,

There was one racing in All Boats regatta at Cootharaba over Easter this year. They had just bought it, thought they were from Canberra or NSW?

There was another rigged on shore which may have been a local and it sailed one day I think?

You could try looking up results on club page but not sure if they are up, might have to contact club if you want some contact details.

Hey there,

There was one racing in All Boats regatta at Cootharaba over Easter this year. They had just bought it, thought they were from Canberra or NSW?

There was another rigged on shore which may have been a local and it sailed one day I think?

You could try looking up results on club page but not sure if they are up, might have to contact club if you want some contact details.

Mitch, it is a mk 1 stick and it surely aint a "wing" of any kind, it's the old "pear" shaped section. Whoever rigged it originally had no idea as it is rigged arse about face, that is, the pin is in the bottom of the mast rather than mounted on the beam so the main beam has a great hole in it and is starting to collapse under the compression loads.

Harry

Hi Mitch

I can shed a bit of light on some of the boats mentioned and some other things.

The boats mentioned as regularly sailing at Lake Cootharaba was more than 10 years ago. I subsequently bought Rebel Yell and sailed it in a number of nationals and winning one year. I sold it to Tony Wickings, the sailor mentioned from Humpybong. Unfortunately Tony was hit by a car driving home from sailing one day and the boat was written off.

After I sold Rebel Yell I built a new foam sandwich boat from skins made by Crai Conn in Bendigo. It is Wet "n" Wild 589, and I believe it to be the most recent Stingray built. I've sailed it in a couple of nationals - Portarlington and Long Jetty, and I sail it in the odd regatta with my daughter. Things like Forster 2007, Gold Coast Cat Week 2007 and Lake Cootharaba Australia Day Regatta 2007. I did a few club races with it at the lake last season. I'd do more races except my daughter is a Uni student and can't get away too often. My other daughter is a great crew (she crewed in the nationals win) but I can't get her away from her Arrow. She also looks longingly at the spare A Class in the shed.

The Stingray which sailed in the Easter Lake Cootharaba Regatta was from the Gold Coast I believe. I didn't manage to catch up with them as I was sailing and organising the Qld A Class titles and was a bit busy. The other boat seen on the beach is a local boat owned by Laurie Armstrong. It is similar to mine and has been sailed in previous nationals. Laurie goes for the occasional sail but isn't a regular racer now.

You'd be aware of the two boats from Nambucca Heads from your participation in the nationals. Justin sails a bit on the NSW North Coast and Towno has just about finished. There are plenty of boats sailing in SA of course.

As you know the Stingray is a fine boat to sail particularly on flat water. They're a cheap alternative to the newer classes if you can find the good ones.

Cheers

John Dowling

Hi John,

Thanks for the info!!! Your name is in a list of stingray sailors (past and present) that Todd Lienert sent me - I can now put you in the current owner column!

Wet 'n' Wild sounds very similar to Crash 'n' Burn (was that yours too). My boat "The Shadow" 582 was built has Craig Conn - well they are the details on the inside of it anyway!

The National Titles look like being held in conjunction with the Arrow Titles at Victor Harbor in January (2-9)! Potentially the number could be quite good with SA boats not having to travel - Would it be hard to convince you and the NSW/QLD crew to make the trip?

Be on the lookout for a Stingray Website in the next few weeks too! My email address is mitchell_bayliss(at)hotmail.com

Mitch

• 4 months later...

there are about nine of them in the central west around lithgow bathurst oberon, most of the boats are in sailing order or could be. not many have hit the water much over the last couple of years. we had two of them before we up graded in the 5.8 nacra. we still have our two dead ones. one at baradine and one at windamere (mudgee). both masts are gone but any other parts that you wanted you can come and take including the boats. also the peter cherry moulds for the boats are up in oberon with burnie dennis. i know there was at least one brand new hull laid up in the mould and also most of the molds for deck's and center boards.

Thanks for the response Rev!

I spoke to Bernie a couple of weeks/months ago about the moulds! Good to hear they are still in working order!

Can you recall what parts/pieces are still intact on your 'dead' stingrays?

My email address is mitchell_bayliss(at)hotmail.com

I've got plenty of spare time this summer so it would be good to hear from you!

Mitch

Hey Rev,

can you contact burnie dennis regarding any cobra molds? - we did manage to get the hull and deck molds from the "cat factory" but there are centerboard and rudder molds lieing around somewhere would be great to know if he has any or if anyone else knows where any are smile.gif

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by NixonJr (edited 17 November 2009).]

i don't have his number and i havn't seen him for at least 2 years, none of those guys have been on the water much. we just had our regatta at wang on the weekend but we had no one from oberon there as has been the case for about 4 years. he may have some cobbra stuff but they where more into the stingrays.

as per what is on our dead ones i'm not sure and to be honest have not got the time to stuff around with it. the one at windamere would have class center boards still in it. the rest of the boat is like all other stingray's old and falling apart.

thats why we got out of them and went to the nacra 5.8, when i had my stingray i spent way more time repairing it than i ever did sailing it.

cheers rev

• 2 weeks later...

Rev

I wouldn't expect you to sink time into finding out what gear your dead stingray do or don't have!

But I am serious about coming up and taking them off your hands... I just don't want it to be a COMPLETE waste of time (I'm happy to waste a little time)

Booms? Old Sails? Rudders/Stocks?

Like I said I am serious... if your happy for me to take them off your hands!

Mitch

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...
  • 1 year later...