Cats still produced in Australia?

QB2

What beachcats are still being commercially or privately produced here in OZ?

I think Nacra, Hobie, Taipan, F16 and 18 C2, Windrush and Calypso are either produced here or imported and assembled, but are we back to individual home builds for Stingray, A class, Arrow, Mosquito, Prindle, H18? Arafura or Tornadoes?

In theory you can still get a new Maricat

Does anyone know how many new Maris have been built and bought in recent years?

Who made/makes Stingray.

I know the fibreglass factory in Adelaide has the Alpha Omega moulds for rudders and centreboards but expect the hull moulds have been tossed.

Who makes Tornadoes these days?

Do AHPC still make Taipans and A class?

who has info on other classes?

As far as I know Scotty (5605) and my hulls (5604) were the last mari's built and they are about 5 years old now, micks mari is 5603 so it is about a year older. It is possible to get a new mari, just that a new mari will cost you more then a Nacra 430, (commercial decision on the behalf of the manufacturer).

You can buy a Paradox Aclass which is built in Sydney, as is the Capricorn 2. Some of the older Nacras and maricat are still built in Brisbane, Windrush in Perth. Pretty sure Hobie still builds 16s here. Taipans are still available from AHPC, currently built offshore but there are plans to bring the moulds back.

Biggest problem with Mari's is that with an older mk1 or 2 you can still give the newest models a run for their money. The foamy's are usually at the front but with the older boats not far behind. The ratings make them very competitive in mixed fleets. Given the cost of an oldie is pretty damn reasonable (mine cost me $600 (base, then I added a few things)) there isn't much need for a newie.

So, not really a problem except that on a floamie you'll go a lot quicker and not go down the mine as much as they seem just a little bit more bouyant, enough to know that you'll blow over a wave rather than into it!

I think the manufacturer shot themselves in the foot by outpricing a new Mari. Why pay $17k for a Mari or a new 430 when you can get a very good Taipan or an older but all carbon A Class for less dime.

Biggest problem with Mari's is that with an older mk1 or 2 you can still give the newest models a run for their money. The foamy's are usually at the front but with the older boats not far behind. The ratings make them very competitive in mixed fleets. Given the cost of an oldie is pretty damn reasonable (mine cost me $600 (base, then I added a few things)) there isn't much need for a newie.

So, not really a problem except that on a floamie you'll go a lot quicker and not go down the mine as much as they seem just a little bit more bouyant, enough to know that you'll blow over a wave rather than into it!

I think the manufacturer shot themselves in the foot by outpricing a new Mari. Why pay $17k for a Mari or a new 430 when you can get a very good Taipan or an older but all carbon A Class for less dime.

Because they have to pay rent and feed their family.... And then we wonder why they take manufacturing overseas, It's not like Waz drives a mercedes, he has a bloody hyundai FFS...

Poor Waz, "life's a bitch, then you turn 40/50/60 (pick as appropriate)", maybe he shouldn't have built the old ones as well, but then people like me wouldn't be sailing!

I've also heard that his terms of trade for dealerships isn't shall we say consistent with a good business relationship either. So I'll not be rushing off to buy a new Mari anytime soon.

New Maricat 4.3 Complete Cat Rigged $10,990.00 Happy to sell as many as you would like to buy. Call Mick 0419999785 or email me maricat43@bigpond.com Still manufatured here in Australia by Brisbane Catamaran Centre. Need a price list of parts, just let me know. As far as I know there is not a more inexpensive 4.3m production cat on the market. Corect me if I am wrong.

New Maricat 4.3 Complete Cat Rigged $10' date='990.00 Happy to sell as many as you would like to buy. Call Mick 0419999785 or email me [email']maricat43@bigpond.com Still manufatured here in Australia by Brisbane Catamaran Centre. Need a price list of parts, just let me know. As far as I know there is not a more inexpensive 4.3m production cat on the market. Corect me if I am wrong.

That's pretty good, I cant even get a windy for that!!!

Yes, a Windrush 14 is still $11,970.00 + GST.

Then you need to get one over from WA to the eastern states - which is another $800.00 approx...

This is the reason it's hard to get newbies into a new boat - they see 2nd hand boats for approx $3500.00 or less on trailer - and they don't see the 'value' in a new boat...

Problem is the older boats are usually well past their prime - and need new sails, new rudders, new tramps etc etc - and are slow by comparison...

That means the 'flame' is never truly ignited in these sailors - and they remain 'casual' sailors who simply 'potter around the bay' - and eventually lose interest... sad isn't it?

In my experience most Windrush sailors buy new hulls if they want a new boat. I don't think there has been many complete new boats made in the last few years. Generally some guy has a good old boat that just needs new hulls. It's a lot cheaper to buy new foam racing hulls from Windrush than a complete new boat. A lot of the time lots of things may have already been replaced on the old boat, like sails, rigging , tramp, so the final step in buying new hulls makes sense if you want to be at the front of the fleet.

No argument there... it absolutely makes sense to upgrade the boat piece by piece... instead of purchasing a new boat - if you have a boat already of course...

:p

My concern is the sailors who think they're going to be stepping into a 'fast' boat by spending $2500.00 - and then wonder why it just doesn't perform or feel right - when 90% of the boat needs to be upgraded...

Archived