Excellent drone and onboards vision cat racing vid

QB2

• 2 weeks later...

what is your flight time carrying the Go Pro weight? the quad is a great platform and should be coupled with onboard go pros for state and national race coverage.. its the3 mixing and editing later that takes the longest time.

• 5 months later...

Nice quality for price. Myself and colleagues have been playing with mini HD cams for years mounting them to patrol cars, bikes and vests and it still amazes me how much quality can be produced from such a small cam. Did you purchase via e-bay?

You guys seem to be up tp date with the technology. How do we create and package a relatively cheap way to have live to laptop or clubhouse monitor using quad copters, go pros and other video cam,s so we could present to racers, media and the public cat races from A class, F16, 18 etc and 14 footers?. Have the quads cover race starts and onboard cams for round the course tactics like we saw with the AC but without the cost. Go pros or the RD32iis on top boats to package up vision kn Dvd/cd after the race. The major factor is creating a rear mounting off the rear beam to get a wideangle shot with a best possible view of the action as competitors cross and mark roundings, finishes etc. The RD32 may well be a cheap, reliable way to go to professionally promote cat sailing. i will be watching for your test sail results.

Evan at Rivoli Bay has a Go Pro with high quality vid and up until the Win TV network amalgamated our regional news last May he got onboard footage in the Monday night sports section of the news. As for editing you need to spend money on Adobe Premier or a similar product to make it easy. The free windows one used to be fantastic until about 3 years ago then it got dumbed down.

Indeed, they are the original version of the RD32 Series, they're on special for $35 at the moment which is a pretty good deal. Still a good camera as far as I can tell Though I have heard of lighting problems and frameskips. This is what Jeff uses on all his videos (I think) so if you watch some of them you'll get a pretty good idea of the quality as an on-board

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technology/GPS-Navigation/Sports-GPS/LAKBA12002?catargetid=1402860417&cadevice={device}

Fair dinkum that's cheap for the Kaiser Baas, it is the one I use currently, I don't think it is possible to get smaller or lighter than the Kaiser type camera with 3 hours battery life and good quality video. Though the quality isn't as good as Go Pro, it's plenty good enough

Here's the video from last weekends regatta at Barmera

Went for a boogie board with a friend today and took the camera, pretty happy with the results. Wish I could say the same for my boarding skills  :p  I think that it lost some quality during editing because it is jumping around a little bit in some points which it doesn;t do on the raw video. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KERvteEJDMg

Hopefully I'll get to Milang next weekend for an actual sailing video

You guys seem to be up tp date with the technology. How do we create and package a relatively cheap way to have live to laptop or clubhouse monitor using quad copters, go pros and other video cam,s so we could present to racers, media and the public cat races from A class, F16, 18 etc and 14 footers?. Have the quads cover race starts and onboard cams for round the course tactics like we saw with the AC but without the cost. Go pros or the RD32iis on top boats to package up vision kn Dvd/cd after the race. The major factor is creating a rear mounting off the rear beam to get a wideangle shot with a best possible view of the action as competitors cross and mark roundings, finishes etc. The RD32 may well be a cheap, reliable way to go to professionally promote cat sailing. i will be watching for your test sail results.

Hi QB2

Unfortunately you won't be able to get good quality video live to a laptop from from a quad (at least until the technology improves or we're allowed to use much more powerful transmitters).

The really good footage you see is the image that is recorded onto the camera and then downloaded later. The image we actually see while we're flying is much poorer quality and constantly breaks up, similar to this (its not me, I just found it - take a look at around the 1min 35 sec mark, the rest is pretty boring):

Whereas the recorded image, taken from a camera on a gimbal which keeps the camera level can look like this (again not my footage):

Also there are a lot of CASA laws which are difficult and costly to accommodate if done for profit. By far the easiest way to achieve what you want to do would have to be done from the start boat and on board cameras and then downloaded later.

Oh BTW what you see at the cricket, requires 3 operators (which costs over $8k to get licensed) and about $30k worth of equipment that also uses the televisions stations transmission licences, so while it can be done at that level would be far to costly for your purposes. But I bet in a few years time that will all change, we're just not quite there yet. ;)

Archived