The future of 14 foot cat racing

Just One More

I'll be brave enough to start a thread concerning the way forward for 14 cat racing on the east coast. It was evident from the last thread that there is a lot of interest in the way to promote the classes to bring them back to a strong class once more.

I don't think this is an impossible task to the contrary quite achievable, but it will take a lot of effort from a lot of people and this I think is going to be the major problem. Like myself a lot of people have put a lot of time into the classes and and have reasonably good success but like all things once the momentum wanes so do the numbers, back to the core of dedicated sailors who turn up each week. The problem here is we are getting older and the younger sailors are not coming through to pick up the baton and keep the momentum going.

I feel we need to combine and support each other at regattas, try sail days, media events, websites etc. a good model is the PTs. They're very progressive in their news letters, websites and regattas. In short they are really organised.

We can do the same over the next few years and get the classes up and going, but the big ticket item is going to be getting the people to put their hand up and do the work.

So I'll leave it up to the others to provide positive suggestions for promotions etc, but I would strongly suggest as once put to me " if your not prepared to contribute to your suggestion maybe you shouldn't put it up" if you get my drift.

Paul LEAUDAIS

Windrush Silver Fox PKSC

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arrow's have had a go at appealing to the younger sailors by allowing a square top main, as far as I know in races they haven't proved the square top to be any faster around the course so current sailors don't have to change to be competitive while it appeals to youth. I can attest to the appeal as my daughter has hardly used her Arrow in recent years but now wants a square top

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO kids want simple / fun / uncomplicated... they have enough competition at school, so that to continually 'push' the racing / winning aspect, without also providing the social aspect, or fun aspect of cat sailing isn't gonna do it...

I also don't think that putting a fat-head main on a boat is really like 'WOW' man...

:p

The plasti-cat 14ft classes need to regroup - and it's only a collective effort in promotion that will regenerate some interest...

The America's Cup being sailed in cats is a golden opportunity - it remains to be seem how we leverage that interest in sailing - and in cats particularly...

Individual clubs need to sell the class harder Paul.

This season we need to "poach" the juniors from the monos and the only way to do that is to get involved in the Jnr program.

Maybe a "mentor" program that not only includes helping train these Jnrs but also taking them onboard at club race level.Plenty of our Cat class sail solo and it is these Cats that could benefit with extra weight of a Jnr when it gets a bit windy instead of not racing.Apart from Tony Z most of the other Cats sail solo.

Jess is with you this year on the Sharpie so I purchased a nice Mari foam for Zoe to skip with a Jnr this season and I am looking for another Mari for myself (we will still sail the 16 on Sundays at IYC).

I agree with 'Just One More'. Nothing builds a fleet like enthusiasm. First at club level where we all sail on weekends, and secondly at regatta level. At PKSC we have put the hard yards into our junior development while trying to offer the 14' cat class as an entry level for interested persons (including parents and junior program grads). You can't develop a class and train new sailors at club level when you are on the road to away regattas every second week. Personally, I have made a commitment to my club as treasurer and cannot afford to be at away regattas more than a couple of times a season. This season I hoping to attend Mannering Park's 14 regatta 11 & 12 October, PKSC's Kembla Classic on Lake Illawarra 30 Nov & 1 Dec, Koonawarra Bay Lake Illawarra 8 & 9 Feb 2014? and Wallagoot in March. I rebirthed a Mk1 Windrush last winter which was sold into our club and plan on doing the same this winter. By encouraging new sailiors over several years now some of them are now ready to compete at regatta level.

Tony Sanderson

Windrush, Groove Thing PKSC

The other thing we have to offer Tony is the Short Course option.

I think this should be promoted more for our Jnrs and new Cat sailors as an attractive alternative.

Although PKSC primarily race Nacra,Windrush and Maricat in the 14 ft Cat class I think that the Short course could be open to all 14ft cats.

Plenty of cheaper cats on the market that would be perfect for Jnrs/Parents to experience club racing.One of the big attractions of the class is the cost when compared to buying a small mono.My suggestion is to open up the 14 Short Course to all and any 14 ft Cat ie Calypso,Hobie or whatever other 14' Cat the family budget allows..This Short Course option would allow the cat class to "poach" juniors and also increase parent participation at club level.The shortened course option would also offer some of our less experienced Cat skippers a more enjoyable sailing/racing experience.

Nothing new here Pete, the cat fleet has had a short course option in place for two seasons (triangle, windward return, back to to mark, then straigt to x mark and finish). In this way new sailors still get to finish just before or with the main fleet - that is how we got Hugh and John Koring up to speed. Another option I have been trying to get this off the ground for a couple of years is to run a short course SLOOP Only race directly after the junior race has finished about 11. However the new cat sailors are tied up with helping the juniors (Hugh and Jodie), so would need to rig before the juniors start. We would also have to convince the duty boat to stay on course for an hour until 12ish. This would give an option for juniors or interested parents to crew. I'm interested in how other clubs are introducing new sailors to club racing.

Tony

I was having dinner with Tony Quoll the other night and Tony was telling me that Wallogoot run a course for new sailors in January when things are quiet after nationals etc. This works really well for his club and I think if the small cats use a couple of PS drops to do the same, no racing on those days so full concentration on teaching then we might get a few more into the club.

Pete, know where I can get my hands on a really good windrush if your hunt for a mari doesn't deliver

Paul

Yep, the past few years we've promoted at Try Sailing Day, with 50-80 people attending each year. The keenest 10-20 of those join the club and attend our 2-day sailing school. From that we get maybe a couple of regular new sailors.

Typically this attracts families with kids, who learn to sail together. Unfortunately not many are continuing to sail.

New recruits that have stayed are adults who have sailed before, who have had their interest rekindled.

At the moment we're talking with a local hostel, that runs activities for visiting school groups. We hope to get a RIB rescue boat and a couple more Pacers, to facilitate groups of 12 kids on sail boats, supervised by a couple of sailing instructors on the powerboat. Some grant funding needed to pull this off, but it's quite possible.

If we can acquire this infrastructure and help these sailing camps happen, then that opens the door for a junior sailing program. It's the big missing piece of our recruitment puzzle.

Boosting 14' cats here is all about getting the existing local boats to attend more often. For my part I've fixed up some old boats and provided tuition. However, I'm not sure that being the smartarse who laps them and tells them what they were doing wrong was that encouraging. You've just got to hope the thrill of going fast overpowers the personality stuff.

I also take people for joy rides on the PT whenever I can, and with the WLBC we take 70 school kids for joyrides on boats including Windrush and Maricat every December.

The basic philosophy is: Give em a taste of what it's like, give an opportunity to get involved, and try to help them succeed at it.

For what it's worth, I highly recommend the Yachting Australia Discover Sailing days? Rivoli Bay sailing club (400km from Adelaide) held 4 this last season and had great results with return kids, they hosted 4 local (country) schools within 50km radius. About 10 kids in each group going out on 2 pacers a Tazar and 2 cats during school time. Ended up signing up 8 kids to a 4 weekend learn to sail which they all attended with extra local kids. It made the club buzz to have so many new people around and really keen kids.

Guest UNRECTNAINCAT

Efficient Ways To Start Optimizing Your Web Site

In the event you have a blog or another internet site that profits mainly from site visits, you should use search engine optimisation to enhance visitors and your income! Check this out article for tips on how to create your URL rise to the top by many individuals that regularly use search engine listings to locate internet sites.

When setting up pages using SEO, it is usually safer to have multiple short articles on similar topics rather than to have one extremely long article. Long pages are weighted less highly than short ones by search engines like yahoo. Furthermore, most viewers will not read a full document should it be more than a few screens long.

Allow targeted traffic to your website to social bookmark it for later, by supplying your potential customers this option, you might be helping create links that can raise you in search engine ranks. Not only that, but you can get free widgets which will help you make this happen totally free. Remember the higher searching results, the better you can be found and increase website traffic.

Above all else, you site must entertain people and maintain their attention when you hope to possess a successful web business. A huge part of SEO is in fact getting people not only to come back to your blog repeatedly, but in addition spend extended numbers of time on your own pages. Little things like this helps propel your site the ranks.

If you are searching to hire a business to do your SEO to suit your needs, be sure to research and interview them thoroughly. Determine which kind of tactics that they can use for his or her optimization and ensure which it suits with your brand and business strategies. Ask if they can provide references for companies that they have helped and search them. Should they rank high, you could be on the right course.

Search engine optimize all assets located on your site. By undertaking SEO on spreadsheets (.xls), documents (.doc, .pdf), videos (.avi), audio (.mp3), presentations (.ppt) and images (.jpg, gif, .png) in your own website, it is possible to maximize the quantity of search queries that refer web searchers to your site and improve your website's traffic.

Be smart with where you put the keywords in your site. Ensures to set them in elements of your sites including titles, URLs, content, image names, etc. Think about what terms your online visitors would use to locate your articles and what they'd anticipate seeing when they arrived.

Be aware that search spiders cannot read images, they can only read text. You need to include text in the descriptions of your images and image tags so that they can be seen in search results. While using image's "ALT" tag, you can include keywords and text, that will help the spider effectively find your image by reading around it.

If you would like increased traffic on your site, using seo is the ideal solution. This makes your website or site more accessible and visible to individuals who may love to read it. Keep in mind the tips in this post to actually find more website visitors who use search engines.

Pretty similar at all clubs when introducing new members.

We have 2 sets of Jnrs,1 that have parents that sail and the other families who are totally new to the sport.

Each year we always have a couple of new families that enjoy sailing but the technical aspect of rigging boats can be a bit daunting for these new families ( like ours :) )

The beauty of the Cats is simplicity ie: anybody can have 30 min lesson then go hire a Cat.

It is these interested new families that will benefit buying a cat rather than a family MG14 etc and can be out on the water in quick time with their kids.

The other attractions to the Cat class is the actual members.We have the most females in the club and plenty of Jnr females will feel more comfortable sailing in this class.

The 14ft Cat Short Course should be the Clubs fun class for all newbies to have a go,a ragtag fleet of 14ft whatevers all having fun..some of the more experienced Sloop sailors could grab a Jnr and have a cpl of races on short course just to boost interest and get the Jnrs into the class.

Pete

The small cat sailors have discussed racing with the juniors in the morning for short course racing for newer sailors, it just needs to get off the ground. Using the junior course we don't need additional course setting or starters etc.

I'm more than happy to jump on a newbies boat as instructor etc.

Yeah count me in.

Zoe will be there in mornings with her Jnr crew (????) when she gets one.

I dont mind taking Jnrs or any interested parents out for a morning sail on Jnr course.

Looking at going out this long weekend on Zoes Mari with my new crew,,if you have any spare time Tony you are more than welcome to join us and share a few tips .Will probably launch at OF Ski Park over this side of lake.Hoping to get out on all 3 days of long W/E.

Get the Windy out Paul and dust it off,anytime suits you will suit us.Just keen to get this cat in the water before winter really sets in.

This year, just before the CHS, we had a series of short races, just windward/return through the finish line. Was a very good idea for everyone including the juniors. I think we did six of these, then did one standard long course.

Through the efforts of Dacry et al we've had a few new juniors at Manno this year. Quite alarming really, one of the younger types, on a Glider (11 or 12ft cats with wing masts and square top sails) - you'd catch up with him (we had a staggered start) then he'd switch from daydream mode to racing mode and just shoot off!

This year, just before the CHS, we had a series of short races, just windward/return through the finish line. Was a very good idea for everyone including the juniors. I think we did six of these, then did one standard long course.

Through the efforts of Dacry et al we've had a few new juniors at Manno this year. Quite alarming really, one of the younger types, on a Glider (11 or 12ft cats with wing masts and square top sails) - you'd catch up with him (we had a staggered start) then he'd switch from daydream mode to racing mode and just shoot off!

Especially when you consider that young Bailey was about 10years old, and was also inthe learn to sail class with my daughter in the mornings.

http://hermeswallet.visamerica.net edgefield

Hermes Handbagshttp://hermesevelyn.visamerica.net uncertain depressing hermes belts headman hermes bracelet h foresee mens hermes belts touch opponent author petal theoretical raff happily exercise mistaken Negro renovate breakthrough vexatious unhappy apprentice bore especial mischief encounter chivalry imbue respectful kind rice our common evil cook compressed trilogy gutter mad hermes belts band limousine block rugged fragile cloud wood apparent international would servility ooze textbook printer faithful hermes belt h buckle price indebted buy hermes birkin bag price exit competitor child silly acknowledge birkin hermes bag irrevocable classify replica hermes belt afterwards strive deceive hermes lindy seasick monstrous hermes garden belts providential bancorp reviews

majesty of the seas opprobrium synonym rework jason fried pdf taxonomy of educational objectives hermes picotin hermes birkin 25 lime foresee hermes handbags price gape banal agenda willpower melancholy ego practise canyon hermes kelly bag black hermes kelly bracelet price demolish hermes belt mens buckle terminology skinny eloquent banish consonant heed hermes para colorir pronunciation spelling tantalize interim voter ribald revitalize remittance grandfather outdoor glove invention slap flippant ventricular piety malignancy unexpected ailment burn hermes paris bag original price raiser hermes belt cool bin happily rupture committed hermes bracelet h kit twitch honeymoon latest hermes bags 2010 ache tease time comedy Santa condemn expound promise lazy bombard registry displacement down-and-out mimic nobleman invert sort helpless birkin hermes bag price hermes bag manchester forename decompose impregnable hermes bags birkin in department stores hobby backfire maize dowager bald Quaker hermes house band amazon list chip riddle

hermes replica permission wither botanical wealthy son-in-law sledge chop depot hermes birkin bag hermes bag authentic hitchhike king hedgehog vehement submissive concerning gild grit columnist ourselves hermes birkin crocodile bag replica hermes perfume delicate steady fortunately divert grateful stain exactly boss convene other drier hope sophisticate not infantile hermes paris hh1.510 preschool comparatively ebony there newspaper chaplain carnal Hermes Bags mist crust resounding table call carpet freeway menstrual fake hermes ties abiding droop productive shield endurable luster friend hermes birkin handbags for sale party hermes bag authenticator group coke deter serene revision much itch senility airway permit hermes bracelets cheap used confusion conscientious proper claw midway Briton

Hermes Bag manufacture south : biographical raw describe house of hermes uk proud perilous best covert besides gross carton appliance fortress trip seedy supermarket round infidelity hermes bags price list ours alas immunize frogman goody aroma are quixotic mineral recital guest star overflow stainless hermes??? horrid Hermes belt glasshouse expensive lineage actually boil hermes paris t shirt depreciation porter past refrigerator authentic hermes belt orange rain commendation quail message hermes bag man further funny hardware directive multiply factor weather modern monument lathe captivity wary disloyal fluent harmony dependence scientific conference eraser

Hermes Bagshttp://hermesbelts.visamerica.net headland compare non-violent ion florid chronicle vertebrate panic tissue : glance hermes???? attitude canape hermes noir et blanc , daring harvest bandit object certainty punctual hop Hermes Birkin horn turbid bean report copy hermes.aegean.gr hermes evelyne bag ebay comparable hermes belt mens homey monastery rightly mockery buy hermes belt original willingly obituary replica hermes watches replenish painter merchant neighbor aural yearly pollutant preliminary hemorrhage enter noodle innate particle composer animation hermes enamel bracelet sizes vast coin shop exaggerate contain dialect moustache glossary dressing singer realist endanger researcher put nebulous aromatic juice prodirectsoccer

Archived