11th Medal - GONE!

So with ISAF 'shafting' the multihull community for the 2012 Olympics, the IOC drove the final nail in the coffin...

The IOC voted yesterday to not give sailing the 11th medal that would have been used for a multihull event...

Is this the end of cat sailing at Olympic level? I sure hope not, i mean ISAF is made up of a bunch of fossils that aren't in touch with what is happening in the sport...

As I've said previuously, should be a bunch of cheap Tornados coming on to the market soon if there is no Olympic pot of gold to chase. For the relatively few Tornados that are out there in the world they are going to be too expensive to campaign on an international level. But having said that, if there is no competition, who's going to buy one?

Who do you complain to - well........... in your case complain to Yachting Queensland who will pass it on to Yachting Australia who will pass it on to ISAF..... so whistling in the wind. In reality, just go sailing, help out at your club and get kids sailing in boats - preferrably cats.

Interesting reasoning given by the IOC for rejecting the 11th medal in sailing proposal. They reckoned it would add more competitors and the book was already full with about 10,500. In the next breath they included women's boxing - go figure. Good to include more women's sports but one that involves attempting to inflict as much head danmage as possible to another person.....

The Tornado Worlds next month in Italy will be pretty sombre. I don't think there will be any cheap Tornados in Australia any time soon. There are few Olympic standard boats here. The current fleet consists mainly of boats which have already seen a fair bit of depreciation. They are a very keen bunch - 14 boats last month for their nationals. They'll keep going in the medium term but the long term is a problem because the top end boats won't be coming on the market second hand because few people will buy new for Olympic campaigns.

Just buy an F18 if you want that kind of sailing - plenty of bargains second hand there.

Cheers

John Dowling

AUS9

Well lets take a look at the America's Cup:

http://sailracewin.blogspot.com/2009/07/images-of-launch-of-alinghi-5-on-lake.html

When the old boys couldn't hide behind their rules and regulations any more, they finally accepted they needed a real sailing boat to get the job done. They mustn't be to familiar with cat sailing though- they forgot to build the trailer.

What a pity they can't bring themselves to recognise the speed and efficiency of multihulls at an Olympic level. Well who wants to visit dreary old Weymouth any way.

Archived