Multiple Mozzie Questions

gim

1) I am just about to make some new trapeze wires, and I was wondering if there is any advantage in having either flexible or stiff wire?

2) The Mozzies I remember from my long-ago youth in Darwin were mostly varnished, and looked great. I would like to have a varnished Mozzie for old time's sake, even if it was old and slow. I was wondering if anyone knows of an old varnished Mozzie that needs a new home?

3) The National Mosquito Association has a Register of all known Mozzies, with their sail numbers and owners listed. My boat (1434) is not on the Register, and I would like to get it included. I have emailed the Association, but got no reply. How do I get my boat on the Register?

Thanks in advance.

Hi gim,

Unless it is mandated by class rules, nowadays wire is not the first (or even second) choice for trap wires.

2.5mm Dyneema is the only way to go, and not that expensive either. Piece of cake to splice (heaps of videos on YouTube or photos on rope manufacturer websites). No barbs, half the weight, doesn't leave lines on your face when you run into them, doesn't chafe your mainsail when square, don't rust, last for years.

Buy a 25m roll from these guys - good quality stuff, and for $50 you can make 2 sets.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dynex-SK60-2-6mm-x-25m-/150838486639?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231eaca66f

Hope this helps,

Rohan.

Hi there,

Will get 1434 on the register.

Trapeze wires?

Some are using dyneema or spectra now for trapeze lines.

Wire? Probably use 1/8" SS wire - 7 X 19 as it is flexible.

My main set are wire as this is what they have always been.

My spare set, for two up when my son sails are dyneema just tied with bowlines.

Have sent you an email.

Thanks for the information about Dyneema; I will buy a roll.

Drew, I just downloaded the Register again, and it is the same old one, and has not been updated. I have not received an email from you.

Greg.

Hi there,

Will get 1434 on the register.

Trapeze wires?

Some are using dyneema or spectra now for trapeze lines.

Wire? Probably use 1/8" SS wire - 7 X 19 as it is flexible.

My main set are wire as this is what they have always been.

My spare set, for two up when my son sails are dyneema just tied with bowlines.

Have sent you an email.

Not a good idea to tie knots in dyneema. It more than halves the strength at the knot. Don't ask me how I know.......

Use a splice and no problems.

My humble apologies. I downloaded the Register from the Victorian site rather than the National site. I have the March 2013 one now.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice. I have bought the Dyneema.

Not a good idea to tie knots in dyneema. It more than halves the strength at the knot. Don't ask me how I know.......

Use a splice and no problems.

Ha ha that is funny when someone knows why not to do something.

All good that trapeze is for the young one at the front.

Will do him good to go in at some stage...

Gim I sail the Clarence on my 14ft Caper Cat. I'd like to see your trapeze wires when you are done' date=' do you sail from Grafton?[/quote']

I've shortened the trapeze wires, and added some rope with a setup similar to that in this video http://www.ahpc.com.au/index.php/support/updates/50-trapeze-takeup

We will be trying it out at Grafton when there is some wind.

Archived