2013 Maricat State titles on at Queens Lake

humungus2

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well actually Yes and No...

The choice is with the sailor...there is no National Register of sail numbers.

Sailors can keep their number or choice to have a new one.

Sail numbers don't always match boat numbers.

In the older Mk1 and Mk11 boats the boat number is under the front beam.....so you need to unbolt the beam to find the number.

Many boats have been mixed and matched with bits from a number of boats put together.

The new foam boats have a number stamped on the hull behind the back beam, but my hulls seem to be 5601 but it came with sail number 5600.

The only problem comes up at a regatta or club race where two boats happen to turn with the same sail number.

In major regattas, with mixed fleets, boats are often allocated a Bow Number, to overcome this potential problem.

It's an interesting issue, keeps you guessing as to exactly how many were actually built. Makes it fun really, I'm using the original number of the first sail that I had 3017, so far I've had 37, 73 and now I've broken the mould by going for 76 (the sail was 16 which is a real boat still sailing at Manno), took off the 1 and put on 7. I originally thought I'd go for prime numbers but economy got the better of it, it was only $5 per number so cheaper to do one number rather than two!

The issue of duplicate numbers is easily fixed with a length of black gaffer tape at the front or back of the sail. Just don't do a Rohan - 1980 on one side, 1890 on the other!!

Actually it doesn't matter because the way the boat has been maintained is far more important than the sail number. Even a Mk1 (like #16) is a fast opportunity. From what I understand the Mk1 boom can be a bit bendy but either replace it with a mk2 boom or shove a piece of windsurfer mast inside it.

There you go, cold wet Sunday, no sailing! what do you expect!!

Also makes the ownership of the Mari moulds a non-issue with no National register..Anyone with a MkII could get new foam sandwich hulls made,mould taken off original hulls and still sail with original sail number..If a person can put a new sail number on an old hull they could also put a new set of hulls on a old sail number..

With no National register the option of foam hulls is available to every Mari sailor..

Maybe the way to go,get a old MkII get a set of foam sandwich Hulls made locally say by Seawind and sail it under the original sail number..NO probs and a lot cheaper than buying a complete Foamie..Like I said with NO Nat register then NO issues.

A number of people have put new hulls under their existing rig, Tony Zahra, Phil Johnson...to name two.

What does it matter...........just do what you need/want to do, to go sailing.

A lot of people have got two older boats and put together the best bits from them both to make one good boat.

Mick will sell you a set of hulls (or a complete new boat).

New hulls are a much cheaper option if your beams, mast, sails, rudders and tramp are in good condition.

Darcy will sell you old hulls or any bits and pieces required to get a boat on the water.

Brisbane Cat Centre have the licence for the moulds and are the only licensed builder.

Anyone can build a set of hulls, if thet have the skills, but it would not be a "Maricat" as defined by the National Constitution.

BCC hold the moulds but the National Maricat Council holds the Specifications.

To just go for a social sail you can do what you like, but to sail with a club or in a regatta, you need to join a club and have an appropriate Yardstick/Handicap for your class. Most clubs will use either the VYC or Koonawarra Yardstick for a Maricat (currently both the same). If your boat does not comply with the Class Specification then the organisers of the race/regatta MAY choose to apply a different handicap.

For example: Mannering Park apply a 2 point allowance for an old coloured sail. At the Toukley Brass Monkey Regatta, the organisers applied a 2 point penalty for the experimental squaretop mainsail on Rohan's Maricat.

The aim is to get people sailing at a level and price that suits them.

In a 14ft Cat, you can buy a $100 30year old Windrush, right up to a $14000 NACRA 430.............or even a $2000 fully speced Mk11 Maricat !!.

Makes buying a newer Mari all the more confusing with mismatched sail and hull numbers.Pulling the hull off just to check for a number is also a ridiculous idea.

Yep......No one has any idea why the original manufacturer did this...........just an after thought I suppose.

Any boat built in the last 10 years has it stamped on the hull behind the rear beam.

Bobby Simpson also said some of the early boats have the number written on the inside top of the bouyancy tanks with permanent marker before the hulls were mated together, just need a mirror to read it, we've found a few with the numbers in there.

After going and having a look at the accom on offer, we will be staying at Brigadoon, Christmas Cove is a bit down in the mouth, close to the club, and on the lake, good if you like lot lizards and "trailer park people" but not where the kids decided we will be staying.

Close!

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=LOT+1+Ocean+Drive+Lakewood,+NSW,+Australia&hl=en&ll=-31.630583,152.798624&spn=0.06358,0.102997&sll=-31.633324,152.77884&sspn=0.031789,0.051498&hnear=LOT+1+Ocean+Dr,+Lakewood+New+South+Wales+2443,+Australia&t=m&z=14

4hrs North of Sydney. I did Budgewoi in just under 3hrs on the long weekend.

I remember travelling all over NSW/QLD/VIC as a kid to go to regattas. Shame people nowadays seem to think it has to be less than 15mins away to be worth putting in the effort... The travelling and exploring new places and waterways is half the fun.

Cheap caravan parks, right through to Oceanfront mansions easily available nearby.

http://www.visitcamdenhaven.com.au/accommodation/

Brigadoon is probably the pick of the closest ones, and is where all the Cherub guys stay as a group each year they are up here.

(Avoid Christmas Cove Caravan Park unless you aren't too fussy!).

Interested, don't fight it, just go with the flow.

Most important thing with a used Mari is condition. If it's in good condition and feels light then it should be good to go. There are heaps of comments around this forum as to what to look for.

I've had Mari's now for about six years and at one stage the hulls were $4500 for the pair. You'd need a Mk2 for all the bits to fit. I'm sure the price has gone up since then but this would be the cheapest way to get a new boat.

As to sail numbers I'm sure other classes do the same thing, licence by sail. With Mari's you used to only be able to get one from a registered sailmaker to whom the number was assigned, that way you didn't get any duplicates.

Remember that in general it's the ijiit on the stick that makes a difference. A well prepped mk1 is just as fast as a well prepped mk2 and we can both get close to the foamies. In general the yardstick works though.

> other classes do the same thing, licence by sail.

Classes such as Laser and Paper Tiger assign a number to the hull. Any replacement sails should be numbered to match this hull number. If new hulls are put under an old rig, the new hulls should have a new number.

Coming up with new numbers when you buy new sails is unique Maricat logic.

The Racing Rules of Sailing (Rule 77 & Appendix G) state that sail numbers should be displayed, and at a minimum size & spacing, and that "the boat is maintained to comply with her class rules" (Rule 78.1). It's therefore upto each class association to determine how sail numbers should be issued and regulated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, The states are only just over 4 weeks away. We have more sailors than boats. We could get some international recognised sailors if we had some above average boats for them to sail. There are a few on Lake Mac and Port Kembla. The guys at swan lake have been very quiet eg: Geoff reed and Wayne Barry. 

Getting the up to Queens lake is a bit of an issue. Any body want to put their hand up to double a boat.

Put the word out guys. 

Be a real shame if PKSC don't turn up.  The dates were announced nice and early back in mid-June, before club AGMs etc, and most other clubs have the event in their programs.  (Most clubs give avg points for those away at rep events)

Fleet is looking hot, with some VERY good sailors from other classes borrowing boats.  (I counted 5 Australian Champions, plus 1 and maybe 2 olympians.)

Sponsors are coming on board, with some fantastic prizes, and a great social evening planned for Sat night at the Laurieton Hotel.

Boat storage available before/after the event for anyone making a holiday of it. (contact me for info).

I sat at the back of our 16ft skiff last year for a little while and swam for the rest of the season.lol

Will be good to sail the Maricat and enjoy sailing again without the long swims,,leave that for the kids..

Will no doubt look forward to next years States when I have 12 months exp on the Mari.

Archived