2013 Maricat State titles on at Queens Lake

humungus2

A lot of classes have suffered over the years, by not attracting sailors of a high level, and stagnating at whatever level the stalwarts performed.

The sailing world respect and opinion of a classes performance level is also very dependent on who wins the titles and to whether 'external trophy hunters' can just come in and take the cup. When sailors of a well known calibre come into a class for a regatta - and DON'T win - you can be guaranteed they will see a decent challenge, and will definitely be back for another shot (and will bring others along with them!).

What qualifies you as a 'Mari' person anyway? I've had multiple Maricats over the years. I've taught my kids to sail on a Maricat, and introduced others to sailing via the class. I've won nationals Titles in other classes, but will be competing in a Maricat titles for the first time at the States this weekend.

Does that make me a 'committed' Maricat sailor or is there some initiation I have to go through first?

I will put it out there, that a true Maricat sailor - is one who is sailing a Maricat. Once, twice, a million times counts. Sail a Maricat once - you are part of the class.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more boats you get to a states or nationals the better for that class. Others will see that it is competitive, and that is good for attracting newcomers and old comers to the class. It is good to have top sailors come in as it keeps all of us improving our sailing. Also if people are worried about trophy hunting, when Darren Bundock turned up a few years ago would you have said that he was trophy hunting (I don't think he needs any more trophies), or that it was actually great for the class. I think its great to see people like him and others are prepared to invest their time and effort to make a showing at a Maricat event , and that can only be good for Maricats. Bring as many people and boats to events like these to help promote cat sailing and Maricats in particular.

Archived