Cairns YC - 14ft cats

knobblyoldjimbo

Sell it here, where there is a market, in Cairns it will be just another boat, the boat is known here and you won't take the beating on price that you would if you decide to sell in Cairns. Tinnaroo, a couple of hrs inland has a good mixed fleet, (not sure of current fleet make up) I would buy whatever their biggest fleet is, or, same for Cairns. We will miss you mate, but you will enjoy year round sailing. PS, may as well sell all your clothes before you leave, formal attire in Cairns, is, stubbies, T shirt and clean thongs, same dress code for women.

Impression I also get is that Lake Tinaroo has a great fleet, including good numbers & variety of cats. They seem to prefer the Beach Cats forum. eg: http://beachcatsaustralia.ning.com/photo/img7505-1

Google says it's an hour & a half drive from Cairns to Tinaroo; that'd be so long as you don't get stuck behind some tourist pulling a caravan up the Kuranda Range.

The other option seems to be Ellis Beach, which only 30min north of Cairns; practically an outer suburb.

http://www.cairnsyachtclub.com.au/ellis-beach/off-the-beach-sailing

Thing I loved most about Ellis were the Mango trees, dropping free fruit all over the place.

Bloody jealous of you. I lived around the Cairns area for a few years and would love to go back up there!

I'm a bit apprehensive about it all. Wife has a job in Redlynch which is west.of the airport. Apparently the Cairns YC have three hobie 16's. Maybe I can find a nice Mari like I did here. I've been up to Tinaroo but the lake looked a bit low. There's. So much to clear. Out though.

Not too sure about the stingers though.

When body-surfing at Wangetti (just up from Ellis), I went with the theory that the reef stops the stingers from coming into that part of the coast. You could also believe that you'll never capsize and be in the water, or maybe carry a small bottle of vinegar on board, just in case. Crocodiles, however, are a whole other story. And I'm not going to mention mosqitoes, dengue fever, or midgies. Oops! Nah they're only at Machans Beach...

Redlynch is nice; close to the forests, freshwater swimming holes & Barron River. Best wishes!

There's a story in the current Cairns Post about a croc sighting - seen swimming between the flags just after the nippers finished! Just imagine (nope, don't really want to) hiking along on a screaming reach and looking down and seeing a croc swimming along. Although, have had a similar issue at Manno, me an Rimmo running downwind and a shark came through between us!

When we've been up there Ellis has been closed due to stingers (the little Japanese ones that get through the nets).

Anyway, by the looks of the property market I'll be spending everything on rent.

I flew back from 10 days in Port Douglas last night. Our resort was just behind the PD Sailing Club. On Sunday they lent me a Nacra 14.5 to sail with them straight off 4 mile beach. There were 6 of us with a few guys up from Cairns Yacht Club (Ellis Beach). One Mari a few Nacra 16sq a couple of Kula cats and the rest 14.5's. Perfect 15knt SEster and less chop than most lakes!

The local guys say that croc's are rarely seen at sea this time of year but the wet season is a different matter. I'm sure you will enjoy the sailing experience in paradise Jimbo. Have a great time.

Good info, thanks, yes we like PD, first went there because Jetstar had to cancel a flight back to Sydney, we actually taxied out to the runway before they realised that they wouldn't be able to get back to Sydney before the curfew. They put us up at Qt, very nice place - we went back there a few months later.

I'll have to chase them up once we get sorted.

As to the crocs, a mate at work sent me some info - the local Cairns guys have decided that crocs and people really don't mix so they're chasing down all the loose crocs and taking them to farms. They caught the one that was swimming between the flags. Just have the jelly's to worry about.

That pink lycra rash suit sounds just like the real deal. Must get me one!! Darcy clearly knows where to get them ;-)

Well welcome to the Effin Queue!

I've been a bit busy so only just saw your thread.

From what I briefly read Yes to Tinaroo, looks like A's and Nacra's. PM Bondy he is a regular member. Also Yes to Ellis, some beach cats are there and the Nacra's. Pt D, I dunno.

My club knowledge is pretty limited as I am pretty time poor and spread myself over a few different boats. (It'd be nice to be a member of them all!).

Anyway as far as weather conditions go that is why I don't stick to one boat. Ellis is awesome but the wind swell can get pretty annoying up here after a few days of 20kns. Which makes Tinaroo prime as an alternative. Alternately my TSer is at Yorkey's and also gets thrown in the mix. And the Mirror down at Trinity Beach.

As far as the croc's go, they are of no concern unless you want to go swimming in the estuaries......... We regularly see a couple out here in suburban creeks (Trinity Park). Jelly's we just wear the bodysuits (not all pink, some are mauve..... ) and they save worrying about sunscreen. No one has mentioned sharks but people up here have been taken by bull sharks at the beach in the past. Out of the 4 I would rate them in order of Stingers, sun, sharks, croc's. LOL the sun is the only constant one of the group so should get number 1 spot.

Anyways Redlynch is a nice valley, send me a PM if you'd like more info or a beer.

F18's at Ellis, A classes live at Tinaroo, there is a few champange sailors at Tinaroo also!!!

I was VC at Tinaroo, so I may be biased. Port Is a nice club, but they only have 4 meets this year, Ellis is great, Nice guys and good setting

We really are spoilt

"Stingers, sun, sharks, croc's"

Apart from the above. I think I'll take Darcy's advice and get a pink stinger suit, where do you get them from?

Are there any Paper Tigers around up there? I've dropped nearly 10kgs so might just be within competitive range! Or International Canoes - I've always liked them, fancy doing without the training wheels.

C'mon James, we are years behind up here apparently!! Lasers, F18 Nacras, Tasers and A class are the most sailed 4 fleets, unless you like o'pen bics ;-)

Grab a cheap A class and join Tinaroo. Infusion F18's are the go at Ellis if Cairns is more your thing!!

Stinger suits at any dive shop, but you only need them in the Summer, Winter you'll need to rug up as the water gets below 24'c!!

Archived