Proposed new riggs and feedback

humungus2

If its coloured sails thats going to attract more young sailors, we already have coloured sails. How ever I think it is going to take more than coloured sails to get hordes of kids on Mari's or any 14s for that matter, I agree with what tony said about the lasers and the optis, I think it is more of a marketing problem, was it not good marketing that made mari's one of the biggest fleets, they were'nt overall the best boat, but the marketing was better than the alternatives, same for Hobie's not the better boat but the company had a better marketing strategy and probably more money to spend in advertising too.

I think its a phurphy. There'd be some other reason why not to sail a Mari even if it did have clear see thru sails or carbon or whatever, there's be some other reason why not to sail.

Interested should point out the cost difference between a new 16fter and a new Mari, quite a bit of difference I'd think! Mind you I've heard that Belmont pay their 16fters to sail.

Still, a 14ft cat is quite a challenge to sail so not really for the faint hearted.

KO

Around $75,000 for new full Carbon 16ft Skiff complete with Sails a trailer and cradle depending on manufacturer. Not sure on new price of Maricat,no listing or prices available on net ANYWHERE..

$110,000-$125,000 for new 18

All 16ft skiff clubs pay.The kids are sailing theres at IYC this season for the pocketmoney..

Belmont has huge dollars on offer every week..A 30th placing will get a crew $250 per week at Belmont. ..I think its $1250 for a handicap win and another $1250 every race for outright win at B16SC and they pay all the way down to 30th.Just starting a race is $50 and another $50 for a finish and then add the placing and Hcap money..$250 minimum per week at Belmont..

The IYC prize money is considerably less but still $50 start/$50 finish and then place prize bonus on top..The kids from PKSC can earn a few grand racing on Sundays in the 16 class even with poor results.I am sure they will go well at IYC this season in a small fleet of 6 crews.

I did not realise that that sort of money was on offer for essentially doing something that we spend our hard earned dollars to do, where as these kids get paid to do it. That gents I reckon has just hit the nail on the head, money talks. Sail a 14 foot cat, (for fun) and pay out money to do it, or get into somesort of wacky the noo mono and get paid to sail.

Only 13s,16s and 18s get paid.The biggest would be Belmont 16s with placings down to 30th in both Scratch and H'cap.Normally they dont get 30 boats so every starter gets the start bonus+Finish bonus plus place prize money..Minimum $230 per race and some days they have 2 races.A great race with a win on both Scratch and Hcap will see a crfew collect $2300..and some days they have 2 races on..

Watch a typical sunday at BS16SC

Interesting to note however, that this model of sailing has only worked in a couple of clubs - Belmont, Manly, and to some extent Lake Illawarra. And with 16ft skiffs only.

Unless the sailing itself is still comprised of passionate individuals, and is well run with minimal politics, then it doesn't save fleets or attract more sailors!

Flagship skiff clubs like Georges River/St George, have almost lost their 16 fleets, and the Cherubs and kids classes that supported them are basically gone. There are plenty of other clubs and classes around that are struggling, and paying people to sail isn't going to change that.

Making sailing fun, challenging, accessible and being social with good bunches of people is what works. Hanging around with other passionate sailors who are there because they want to be - not because they have to turn up to get paid. (Work is for that!)

The Maricat has all that, and money certainly isn't a barrier to competing. Spend as little or as much as you want, you will still have fun, and get good racing. And that's what keeps people coming back.

Archived