Alternative Mast Floats

My guess is anything with buoyancy relative to the weight being held will do the trick. I've seen everything from air floaties, to foam socks and so on. The pool noodle isn't a bad idea as long as it looks the goods. I've had an alternative look before using 2x 3l milk cartons which were overkill lol

Sorry, it is a stupid question.

You'll not increase the bouyancy by stuffing foam into the mast.

You'll only reduce the chances of water getting into the mast by stuffing foam in (something that's already done on Maricat masts anyway).

To INCREASE the bouyancy you need to ADD bouyancy. This would be done by the time honoured method of hanging a milk carton off the top. There are smart ones like the Hobie floats (large and small from what I've seen).

Possibly taping a noodle to the front of the mast at the top might work just so long as the tape doesn't let go when it gets wet.

Not capsizing is also quite an effective method.

J

Haha thanks for that, a mate of mine who races Sharpies said that's what he's done in the past. I didn't realise that masts should be sealed, I assumed water would flow into them and therefore a noodle inside would add boyancy by existing in the place of water (makes sense in my head, I'm a hydrologist). Looks like my plan has changed from installing pool noodle to making sure the mast is nicely sealed :)

Thanks for the comments

My guess is anything with buoyancy relative to the weight being held will do the trick. I've seen everything from air floaties' date=' to foam socks and so on. The pool noodle isn't a bad idea as long as it looks the goods. I've had an alternative look before using 2x 3l milk cartons which were overkill lol[/quote']

As a jnr sailor I didn't have the weight to right my impara cadet from the fully capsized position, it was also complicated by the fact that the centreboard was a single board centrally positioned......

yeah I could get it righted if it only went half way without too many issues......

my dad came up with a simple yet extreamly effective system that made life as easy as for a skinny kid.....

2 cray-pot floats

a halyard block at the top of the mast with a ~8mm rope that ran from the front beam up to the top of the mast and back down (spliced into an endless loop)

a small bag made from old sail cloth was fixed to the front beam, this held the cray-pot floats

&

a single cleat on the front beam next to the bag.......

when fully capsized I simply pulled the halyard so the floats were dragged to the top of the mast and then cleated it, move my massive weight to the chosen hull and within seconds the boat would come to the half way position....... from there it was an easy righting.

hit the cleat and pull the floats back down & back into the bag ...... sail away until the next Oh no not again moment

strange bit....... some 30 odd years later ...... I still have those 2 cray-pot floats

:o

Yeah I use a cray pot float split in two and shaped a bit to sandwich the mast tip [old school] snugly on an H14. Bit of bungy through the lot holds it in place really well. It's a six inch float and fairly low profile in place . Just adds a little extra "bounce" to a well sealed mast.

I love the idea of a float you can pull up the mast when needed! It's brilliant. Never seen that before.... but I havent been around much...

My mast has a proper moulded (aerodynamic...) float that looks like the Hindenberg (before the explosion). I dont like having it there but I sail with kids, I think it would be irresponsible to take it away. I have a skull and crossbones sticker to put up there, actually...

But the float you raise only when needed would be perfect I think. Main issue I can see is where to store it - a self inflating float (like the air mattresses) would be sweet as. Just tucked into a bag somewhere accessible like the mast end of the boom...

I guess another point is, just how much are mast floats needed? I guess different boats have greater/lesser tendencies to turtle, but in my capsize experience (on youtube) most actually seem to stay on their sides. is it just a 'luck' thing as to whether your cat goes right over or not? Or an Hobies more likely to turtle than Nacras (for example)?

Archived