Moreton Bay Sailing

Matt15

As we aren't camping I've started a new thread for our Moreton Bay Sailing

Last weekend the 14th of July myself and Andy aka Taching Cardia headed out from Victoria Point and aimed our sails for Peel Island but due to a mild S/SE we played around in Toondah Harbour stopping into the northern end of Macleay for a break.

2_zpsfd33b3ca.jpeg

1_zpsb09d4236.jpg

3_zps09f640cf.jpeg

I need to get myself some onboard photos/video as Andy kindly demonstrated how to overturn his capsized H18 and several times and looked great flying on one hull

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Had a great run to Coochiemudlo then Peel Island on Sunday with afew showers after lunch. Went for a walk across Peel to the old Leper colony site which was fun too.

Fantastic to meet Dave and his Hobie Tandem Island, what a machine! Dave i'm looking forward to seeing your H16 next time.

I can't believe I forgot to take some pics of our sails on the white sandy shores of Peel. Ahh well, next time perhaps.

• 1 month later...
Another great run in Moreton Bay today with some new boats in the group. Started with a lull but enough to cruise into the bay before really picking up around midday. Stop over @ Dunwich, Staddie for lunch. Next time hey Dave?

1_zps41aa9d09.jpg

2_zps8ff5f342.jpg

3_zps57dced1e.jpg

4_zps55d97a12.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Closest to you would be WoodyPoint @ Humpbong Sail Club. Good spot for a run around the bay but no island hopping to be done unless you have lots of time and fantastic winds. Jellyfish are also a pain there.

If u want to island hop travel to Brisbane southside and put the cat in anywhere between Wynnum/Manly, Cleveland or Victoria Point. Horseshoe Bay on Peel Island is still a fav of mine to visit.

You could head north too - and run off Golden Beach near Calounda or even around the Bribie Island bridge.

No plans to head out myself, just recovering atm after a crazy day!!!!

It is a terrific spot to sail from but a bit of a pain sailing back to shore in a NE because of the turbulence from the high rises., if you sail from there avoid the eastern side of the jetty because of the rock shelves which are uncovered at low tide.  There is also a yellow buoy 50m off the jetty and you need to keep outside of that otherwise the fishermen can get  upset if you tag their lines. There are some boat ramps at deception bay but its a very long way to the water at low tide and very shallow. Stick to Woody point 

Thanks guys. Think south might be the go. I usually use a boat ramp, is there one at Victoria point where I can float the boat off the trailer then rig it on the bank? It's heavier tHan a hobie so dragging it around is not easy. I like the idea of island hopping especially if I take the missus for a sail.

I did see some larger boats sailing out of the rich houses and canals at Newport today. Lucky bastards! One day....

What have you got your hands on to sail Snapid?

Yes Victoria Point has a boat ramp with floating pontoon in the centre but you need to rig on the trailer (see my first pic). Coochiemudlo Island is only afew hundred metres away from the ramp and makes a great place to pull up for a break.

Mate today would have been unbelievable but I couldn't do it. Looks like we're gonna head home sooner than planned now too... In totally bummed that yesterday sucked so much. I'm actually heading south tomorrow. I'd be mega keen to do a run from down there if the weathers good. And if you want to plan a bribie trip one weekend I'd come up either with my boat or without for a day on the bay so let me know.

Archived