stbd coarses

skinny

Clubs can lay stbd courses to suit the wind or local geography, they should be avoided if possible because of the danger at the windward mark, as the fleet rounds on port tack any boat coming in on stb has right of way, until he starts his tack onto port to round. Numerous prangs result from stbd courses (mostly at the windward/top mark)

No, not normal but it happens and often generates some interesting results and rules challenges. From the rules perspective there is nothing wrong so long as the correct protocol is followed - ie red flag on the start boat. The Brass Monkey at Toukley has often run them and in mixed fleets provides quite a challenge, eg coming around the leeward mark you're going to be on stbd so if you're in a slower boat and an F18 comes past there's nothing much you can do except suck in their gas and wait for them to disappear. We had a big discussion about it in the 14ft section, couple of years ago at the Brass, again stbd course, on the first leg I came up on stbd to the mark, three others were coming in on port. I did have the right of way until I tacked and provided I did a quick tack, even though I was going really slow out of the tack I then had rights as overtaken boat. This wouldn't have happened on a port rounding where the normal layline would have been on stbd then a bear away.

• 2 weeks later...