Cat sailing

Hi All

Just a quick musing....   Is it better to sail a class of cat that has a racing group in your area. Or do you sail whatever cat takes your fancy and race on yardstick. I am in a club that has a Hobie 16 group and a Windrush 14 group. That seems to be the options for racing. Of course you can just race on yardstick with whatever cat turns up but there is not really the first over ther line thrill of same class racing. I don't always have a crew so a large single handed cat is desirable. I have a Hobie 16 and a Windrush 14, so the racing is covered however the Windrush 14 seems a little to small at the moment.

Thoughts?

Gazereth78

The class racing is certainly the way to improve your sailing and boat tuning, if you sail an odd cat on y/stick you may never win a race, even if you are first across the line, because you have no direct competition your improvement will only be marginal, and, you have no reason to try tuning. Your Windy and H16 would have to be late model foam boats and your crew weight needs to be close to class minimum, to win, across the line, or on Y/stick.

While we have several Maricats and Windrush at Wallagoot, I still prefer to stick with my Paper Tiger. It's just more fun to sail!
The downside is that without a similarly paced boat to tune against, I'm at a disadvantage when I enter major competitions. The guys from McCrae for example that have a strong fleet of PTs are immediately quick at a new venue, while it takes me few races to get tuned up.
I also have a Laser Radial, so that I have something slow enough to race the other club boats. While flying on the PT is so much more exciting, the Radial provides the racing duels and social fun.
If you can find a boat you enjoy sailing that is similar pace to the others, then go with that one. Yes, a single handed cat that can pace Hobie 16s would be awesome for you; especially if you can find one with a strong national class. Maybe Mosquito?

Thanks Darcy and Tony

Both good advice.

I have looked at the Mozzie with envy for some time now however i don't think there are any over here in WA. Looking at a Nacra 16sq maybe, just thinking at the moment. I have the Hobie for myself and whoever wants to come, so thats fun, however it doesn't solve the need for speed on a big single handed cat. Looking at the Hobie forums in the USA it seams there are heaps of single handed Hobie 16's over there but i don't know how that would go.

On a totaly unrelated note, I have a standard shed with double standard rollerdoors. I can only get the H16 thru the door by tilting it on the side, which is a major pain. If i buy a bigger cat it will have the same problem. Has anyone had to modify their shed to fit the boat? I'm guessing a new front with one bigger rollerdoor?

Cheers

Gazereth

One of the guys at the Lake Eyre Regatta had a Windy 14 with spinnaker and that would make your life pretty exciting over there, I've seen people single handing Hobie 16's in Adelaide, I've built a few sheds some with roller doors, the alteration to your shed would depend on the internal framework around the door but for minimal cost you could keep your roller door and build a slightly wider door frame on one side with a small door on the side of the roller door, normally the roller door would be supported by framework from one side of the shed to the other. If you don't sail the same boat as everyone else you get your chance to win sooner or later when the conditions suits your boat better than the others

• 3 months later...

I sail my hobie 16 solo all the time. It is still fast and exciting but you do have to be aware that there is alot less weight to hold the hull down. You may need some sort of aid to right if you capsize though. I use a righting bag that I hook up to the righting line and sling over my shoulder. Filled with water it makes me about 30kg heavier.

Also I do not trapeze solo. I am very afraid of the boat sailing off to noumea without me if I come off as you have to cleat the jib.

A-Class has a 2.3m beam, only 50mm more than the windrush, will that make it through the door? 

to be honest any a-class built since 1995 will be MUCH nicer to sail than a nacra 16sq or hobie 16. whole heap lighter and more responsive. if you can get one with a carbon rig that will be a major plus.

plenty speedy enough and sailed all over the country.