Maricat Yardsticks. Should all Maris be on the Foam boat Y/stick?

darcy1945

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the Brass Monkey I tried hoisting my VS Skiff assy.  It was a little too big, masthead of course as these things always should be (  ;-)  )

I'd guess that a 16ft kite might also be a little on the large size but there are several sizes aren't there.

Suck it and see!!  I sold it to a guy with a Careel 22 in the end!

Next championships there'll need to be a "whose is bigger" comp!

I have Number  1 & 2 rigs. Small is 30sqM kite and the large rig has a  45sqM kite.

I think the 16s HAD a smaller No3 rig but not sure if anyone still uses these.

The smaller 30m kite would be overkill..The 45m kite just would not fit at all on a Mari.

Would be perfect for the Batemans Bay regatta in April.

A cherub kite would be perfect.

The MG chute I used hoists to 200mm above the hounds, so is very safe structure wise. A cherub chute would be about 450mm above the hounds, still 'safe' enough.

I wouldn't run a masthead - without diamonds, you will break either the tip off, or break the span about a metre below the hounds when it inverts.

Either way, jimbo is right. It's lipstick on a pig, and if you wanted to do a 14ft Frankenboat seriously, you would start with a better platform. Even an Arrow or a PT would end up a better result.

I've done this for zero cost, to keep my sanity when sailing with the kids or when there are no other Maricats to race against. The 5yo loves the kite up, and it is small enough and easy to handle that we don't get in strife.

If I want to go fast, I sail my moth.

Thanks for the tip on kite sizes Rohan .Yes definately keep the 16 kites for the 16 alone .

I do like the look of a kite on the Maricats.The extra power downwind would be a bonus.

I agree with the Super Dooper Sloop class but do we then allow the extra trap and have 2 out on wire :) :)

YELL YEAH...Super Dooper Sloop 2 Up.

The bows in issue is actually less of a problem, as the 2nd set of wires to the end of the bowsprit take the loads at a more forward angle.

Sailing upwind, the normal bridle is almost slack, as the prebend setup in the sprit takes up the load first.

More chance of stretching the hulls longer, than bending them in if you do it right!

The mast is massively overspecced, even in non ribbed form IMHO.

The one on the Custard Truck is a cat rig mast, chosen purposely for Super Sloop. I haven't ground my rotation stops, so there is less risk of getting it to a bad situation in either a de- or over-rotation. I also don't run my mainsheet back at too great an angle (don't quite get what that is about anyway, all seems to work against what sail characteristics I am trying to achieve!).

It saves me 1.5kg in weight - up where it matters a lot! Had it out in conditions above what any sane person would sail - certainly well over any club would start a race in. Never had an issue - it's as straight as the day it was made.

Set a size kite limit you think is safe (even if its another class reg size ie MG ,Cherub,etc  and get the SDS division accepted by Assoc.

It may attract crews to the class and how many boats constitutes a seperate division? 4 or 5 ?

Sounds fun Maricat alternative when racing in mixed fleet Club  races and IMHO Can it do any harm to intro a kite ?hardest thing will be YSticks   ;)

* Racing in a Mixed fleet everyweek against boats such as Sharpies,505s,I14s,Nacra 5.0,5.8,F18s and the likes it would be rather handy to be legally able to add a smallish kite to the Maricat for better performance downwind *

• 2 months later...

For the information of anyone else on the planet, and I doubt there are many, who has a Mari 4.0s, the following is the reply from Yachting Vic as to the Yardstick for my Mari. The measurements of the sails and mast, note that my sails are very old rainbow coloured main and a handkerchief sized 'cruising' jib, were sent to Yachting Vic and the results are as follows.

From your sail measurements, the sail areas are:
Jib - 3.45m2
Main - 9.7 m2
Mast - 0.65 m2

The "Tentative" Yachting Victoria yardsticks (based on the calculated SCHRS ratings converted to a YV yardstick) for the Maricat 4.0S are:

Cat Rigged (Main only - 1 up, no trap) - 101
Sloop Rigged (Main + jib - 1 up, no trap) - 93.5

For interest the weight of my 4.0 is 107.1 kilos !

The thing is built like a battleship, maybe thats why it has lasted so long.

Hope this info is of value in the Mari database.

Regards,

Ross.

Archived