Maricat State Titles, results discrepancy?

darcy1945

Darcy, no need to get excited..........

This discrepancy has been noted and has been brought to the attention of the new President.

I was rather surprised at being awarded 2nd place and I checked the results.

Your calculations agree with mine.

1st         Lachlan White

2nd       Nicholas Horde

3rd        Ethan Micallef

4th        Rodney Anderson

Mr Johnson will fix it all up ............

Ok I'm dumb

How does someone get 4.25 points and someone else get 14.75 points when we are all getting whole number points.  I've asked that Rohan be contacted to clarify the points awarded, so I can only wait to see what comes back.

The places were awarded on the basis of the results I was shown on Sunday afternoon, no I didn't have a computer nor a calculator nor an AYF blue book nor even a note pad and pen to write all the ins and outs down at that time, I just took what I was shown to be correct.  (I confess I didn't take my AYF bluebook with me for that weekend, but then again I didn't expect to be voted president)

And I'm sorry, I've never had to calculate results before, and I'm a little in the dark here, if someone can explain to me how it is done than I am happy to learn.

Phil Johnston (Johnston is spelt with a T)

(its fairly easy to make a spelling mistake with a name)

Darcy

The names of the boats were all collected by a lovely lady from the Queens Lake Sailing Club, whose name I don't know nor her association with the club, but she was there both days working in the canteen, and getting sail no's matched with boat names and crews sailing them, if the guy who was sailing your boat didn't make sure that she spelt your boats name correctly, (I made sure she spelt my boat's name correctly, cause it is always misspelt every where else) which I assume he did'nt then I would have to assume its just an honest mistake made on her behalf, ,none of us had anything to do with the names of the boats entered into the software for the scoring, that was all done on our behalf by the Queens Lake Sailiing Club guys.

Couple that with the fact that I don't think your boat went back to the club but was launched direct to and from the caravan park where some of the guys were staying, therefore the afore mentioned lady would not have been able to view your boat up close to see the name. 

An honest mistake, as I said, let it rest Darcy.

Now as to the scoring and I am going from the scores posted by the club that ran the event Queens Lake Sailing Club (not the Maricat Assoc)  Maricat Assoc did not run this series of races, it was run and scored by Queens Lake Sailing Club

Ethan scored a 13,  11,  10,  9,  12, drop 13 that gives him 42

Nick scored a     9,   8,   11, 15,  9,   drop 15 that gives him 37

Lachie scored a 4,   6,    6,  10, 10, drop 10 that gives him 26

Rodney scored a 10, 17, 12, 1, 13, drop 17 that gives him 36  

So I'm lost here Darcy, can you explain how you get .25s and .75s from this .

Phil 

Righto. I will reply as it was me who did the results, missing out on drinks after dinner to do so.

1. All results were entered as elapsed times as I was told the event was a scratch series.

2. I wasn't ever given an entry list or even a sign on sheet with boat or crew names. One of my volunteers walked around the beach chasing down details so we could actually even get some information.

3. Final results were entered while everyone was packing up and enjoying a beer. I packed up after everyone was gone. No problems with this - happy to help the association out. (Would have been nice to have been asked if anyone could give me a hand.)

4. All boats were scores as one fleet, then the division winners were taken from within the results. We were all on the same course avoiding all the same boats, so this is a fair reflection of the true sailing.

5. If you want to run 3 separate fleets, run three starts with enough separation in time or course that the fleets don't interfere with each other. When planning the event, I was told it didn't matter if we had 1 or multiple starts. Obviously 20/20 hindsight shows this isn't what you need.

6. While the club needs to be the organising authority, it doesn't need to write the NoR or SIs. I did this to help the association out, and in the future hope the class takes all your feedback into consideration for future event documents.

In summary

- if you want to bitch about the results - contact me with the actual event requirements and I will update the scores accordingly.

- Darcy - if you think I purposely called your boat anything untoward, then I am astonished at your gall. Fair game mate, but that is fucking ridiculous.

- if you weren't at the event, or didn't volunteer for a position on the committee - don't grandstand on the internet about how things should have been.

Final comments.

I thoroughly enjoyed the States and feel proud of the way Queens Lake Sailing Club hosted and conducted the event. Thank you to my volunteers for their outstanding contributions.

Thanks to Mick Colecliffe for your untiring dedication to the class. It wouldn't even have had a State Titles without your passion.

Thanks to all the competitors who got involved and helped each other out both on and off the water with spare parts, advice and camaraderie.

It is the people and the attitude of those participating at these Association events which make the class worthwhile - the Maricat has this in droves, and whether you have an old beater or a new foamie, it won't change your enjoyment on the water.

My kids will be involved in the class for many years to come. I hope they have strong role models to follow and aspire to.

Rohan Nosworthy.

Commodore QLSC

Well thanks for that feedback Rohan. I think at this stage the committee should kook at the original data and if any adjustment is warranted then we will take approprita action.

We (any body that has helped run an event) understand that communication is not always clear and sometimes misunderstandings happen. We appreciate that you gave of your time so we could all enjoy the fantastic conditions your club put on for us. If you could send me the original data I will put it together for the committee to have the FINAL word on.

Who's coming to the fourteen foot regatta! I can't wait!

Mark (secretary)

Thanks Mark.

I'm planning on doing the 14ft regatta with my son, so all the Sloops better get geared up for a challenge!

Original elapsed time data is as per the results sheet online for each race.

I encourage the new committee to update the NSW constitution as per the Dept of Fair Trading model rules, and ensure to include class particular nuances for things like State regatta formats, scoring methods for divisions, yardsticks and/or handicap methods, procedure for approval of new membership to the Association, disciplinary actions for those who bring the class into ill repute. Class rules also need tightening in a lot of areas of recent 'creep' to ensure the one design goals are maintained.

The class will continue to succeed on a strong and consistent organisation base, and fringe elements need to be brought into line via the rules - that's why they are there.

Keep up the good work.

Rohan, congrats on your outstanding performance on a boat over 40 yrs old, this performance, and the clean sweep of the cat rig class by Lachlan White, Nicholas Hord, and Ethan Micaleff, also sailing similarly aged boats (Ethans boat "Sweet Sixteen is the sixteenth boat out of the original mould) Proves the outstanding longevity off the Mari, the best 14' production cat ever.  

Thanks Darcy. I know you are dedicated to getting people on the water and do a good job of it. In the public eye of an Internet forum however, it pays to seek out the correct info before throwing barbs around. I've been around a lot of classes over the years, this 'sling' is barely a blip on the radar!

The class does need to decide what a scratch regatta really means. I scored it as a fleet on scratch. If that gives the cat rigs big drops then so be it. Elapsed time is scratch in my view.

Archived