Motion for members to vote on.

Scuttlebutt

NOTICE OF MOTION:

Motion 1. That measurement certificates be issued to boats at State events. that will be valid for 3 years.

Motion 2. That at State events a 2 min handicap be given to any boat that is more than 107 kg in same configuration as min weight requirement. 

Please look at the above and if you think it needs changing slightly to reflect fairer racing at state events then comment.

At the end of 2 weeks I will tweak these and put them up for voting on by the members.

Motion 1, agree. 

Motion 2, agree. 

Would also like to see separate C/ship for Classic Maris, which make up the bulk of members as of this date.

To assist the measurer, sailmakers should sign sails as complying with Maricat measurement, if found incorrect that sailmaker be struck of list of measurers, or blacklisted.

What about voting on  the intro of a small kite and class size regs for them?

Rohan looks like he has the kite issues all sorted and as a Mari  that sails Sloop I would like members to add this to list of things to vote on..

My thoughts are that the addition of a kite will make the crew job more interesting for 2 up Sloop rig..Many Maricats will have small children onboard as crew,they basically adjust the jib and thats it..Once the kids get a bit bigger,holding a jib line does not give the same level of excitement as it did when they were little..By introducing a small kite it would basically "give the crew a bit more to do".

Adding a kite would just add FUN for 2 up crews... and when you think of 2 crew boats EVEN little kids on a MJ run a tiny kite.

*Not suggesting every Mari adds a kite but they will add to excitement of the class .

• 2 weeks later...

So this is now my proposed Motion for members to vote on;

NOTICE OF MOTION:

Motion 1. That measurement certificates be issued to boats at State events. that will be valid for 3 years.

Motion 2. That at State events a 2 % adjustment be given to any boat that is more than 107 kg in the same configuration as min weight requirement. 

Now In need a financial member to second the motion please!

I'll second motion 1.

Rohan Nosworthy.

---------

I can't second motion 2, as it is effectively creating another class of Maricat which is in essence against the constitution of the class.

There are one set of class rules - which have had core parameters (length, width, etc, plus weight) the same since it's inception. Changing any of these is changing the class at its core.

You might as well give boats weighing >107kg a dispensation to have a larger sail area.

Let handicap systems at events sort out any variances between boats - don't change or add to the class rules to quieten those who have chosen to purchase boats that are greater in weight than the published minimum of 30 years ago. The owners of these 'heavy' boats have got into the class at a huge discount price to what would be spent on any other class to be at the front, so must have had some expectation of a performance difference from the beginning.

With 20/20 hindsight, you would actually have raised the issue up with class builder 20 years ago and taken them to task over routinely delivering heavy boats.

If Motion 2 is not passed then the State Titles will be a foam only regatta.I understand the view that it will create 2 classes but currently that is what the class consists of.A few Foam hulls and the rest are at a disadvantage with weight.Motion 2 is finally addressing the weight discrepancy within the Mari fleet.As expected those who have min weight boats will strongly disagree.

Good point you raise about boats that were originally constructed OVER weight (buyer/manufacturer  beware,if the hulls are 1 Oz over minimum then buyers have a right to  refuse)

I have a mk1 glass boat that is overweight. Nothing to do with boat ownership - my view is about preserving the class rules.

As I said above, there is as much case as adding 6in of hull length, or more sail area, to old boats if you start down that path of putting differentials in the Class Constitution.

There are what, 5 foam boats? Hardly a pimple on a pumpkin of the several hundred sailable all GRP 'classics'. Turn up at events, and majority rules as far as racing like-for-like goes.

It's not like you are going to win a sheep station or an instant place on an AC team if you win the Maricat Universe State Titles!

It's about racing in good fleets VERY CHEAPLY for most of us - in boats that were mass produced to a price many moons ago. If you want to take home the crown - you will need to prepare and pony up for a newer boat, just like every other racing class in our sport.

Leave it to the NoR and SIs for individual events to cater for whatever divisional prizes the entries at a regatta justify.

Interested - if it happens as you believe, that only Foam sandwich boats turn up at states, then the issue has taken care of itself!

If however, a GRP boat wins the States...

I second motion 1

but I disagree with motion 2 bad luck if you have a heavy boat. If your boat weighs is 109kg and you weight 65kg (174kg) and my boat weight is 97kg and I weigh 80kg (177kg) then you get a 2 min and a 3 kg advantage. lets cut the crap. Riley was mixing it with the foam boats in a heavy boat in Canberra on weekend. good sailors win and bad sailors loose.

the state titles were close anyway there was nobody that was 5 to 10 min behind. keep it simple, a maricat is a maricat regardless of GRP or foam. Just because you have a foam boat doesn't mean you are going to be in the top results you still have to sail well. just get out and have a go and learn and you will do well. Maricat sailors are top people that are helpful and supportive of new people. so it doesn't matter if you come first or last you will have a good time sailing.

The minimum  combined crew weight for 2 up Sloop is  around 108kgs.(I think the minimum solo SS was in mid 70kgs range.)

The Maricat 4.3 shall be sailed in the following classes:

arrow_right02.gif Class A Cat or UNA rigged 4.3m (14') one up. arrow_right02.gif Class B Sloop rigged 4.3m (14') two up. arrow_right02.gif Class C Supersloop with trapeze, sloop rigged 4.3m (14') one up.

These classes may be given separate starts or sail together on the same or different course lengths as decided by the Race Committee.

arrow_up.gif Back To Top

SKIPPER & CREW WEIGHTS

The minimum weight of persons sailing a Maricat 4.3 shall be as follows:

arrow_right02.gif Class A 63.5 Kilograms (singularly) arrow_right02.gif Class B 108 Kilograms (combined) arrow_right02.gif Class C 71 Kilograms (singularly)

Archived