Wanting assistance of a Qld Calypso 16 owner, re trailer (Closed)

Hi

I'm attempting to register my Calypso 16's trailer, but the problem is I have no records of its former registration, nor does it have a VIN plate, nor any manufacturer's sticker. Nothing! From talking to the Calypso manufacturer (who holds no records of it) the boat was made around 1981 or so.

I therefore need to obtain information about the trailer weight, etc.

What I'm seeking is to make contact with someone with a Calypso 16 on a registered trailer, so that I can get the relevant data to add to my rego forms.

The trailer is what I presume to be the original, standard C16 trailer, with no modifications.

Can anyone (in Brisbane preferably) assist me?

cheers

Doug

G'day Doug, I had the exact same issue with my Calypso 16 Trailer in SA (probably different laws though)

To be honest, I think I made some of the details up, keeping them reasonable. If you get some bathroom scales and place them under the load points (each type and the front) and add all 3 weights together you should get the roughly the trailer weight.

Calypso 16's when fully rigged weigh 143kg (http://www.johncrawfordmarine.com.au/trailer-sailer/library/cat_view/27-trailer-sailer-library/100-calypso-cats) so assume you wouldn't load much more that that on the trailer and say it's max load is 180 or something.

In SA you didn't need a VIN until 1987, so the registration people said to make up a chassi number and stamp/engrave it on the trailer instead. That then got recorded instead of a VIN. I used the same number as the number plate they gave me.

I hope that helps out a least a tiny bit

I think trailors under 750 Kg gvm are all self registerable. I would just say you are putting up to 500 Kg on it. The first time you go in you fill out some paperwork and they will give you a vin number - then you go away and put it on your boat - you can even by a plate from them for a few bucks and engrave it - attach this to your boat and then go back and they will give you your plates. Just write down you approximate year of manufacture and say its self made if you don't know who made it.

Just what I would do

good luck

I've looked into this issue myself having an old trailer with no VIN. Qld Transport have all the requirements online which can get tricky but questions are quickly answered by phone or visiting your nearest QT office. Or just ask here of course.

Lucky for me I was able to find 5 tiny digits stamped into the underside of the frame. The 5 digits aren't a VIN but good enough for rego as an identifiable serial. Otherwise I believe it's as Shane said, you can buy a VIN plate and apply for a surrogate VIN from QT. I think this needs a Police check first but not sure.

All other numbers/weights can be thought out for the self clearance form (home made trailer >750 gvm) which is simple enough for a cat trailer. If you have concerns thou doing this yourself you can visit a weight station for exact weights but that's over kill really.

When i bought my little hobie i didn't even get a reciept from the owner .. just paid cash, no vin ... i had to sign a declaration to say i didn't steal it, and then all the other stuff ... they was a really nice man at the gold coast dept trans info desk that helped me... i was a lot more careful to geta receipt for my next cat :-)

• 4 months later...

Archived