cat righting

ymick

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thing 3 & thing 4 (aged 6 & 4 ) can actually hold the mast up in the air un-assisted .....

this give you a good idea as to how much more lifting power you have over just standing on the boards or deploying a rope from somewhere....

I can lift the mast clear of the ground with little effort and can hold it as the boys are with a couple of fingers, its that easy !!!

:D

204_zps0dd8b6fd.jpg

childs play when it comes to packing up ;)

in the water its tends to stay in the deployed position, its only once the boat starts moving or you physicaly move it does it self fold up to a degree, I can easily grab it once we were moving from over the back of the rear beam and clip it away.

one huge advantage I wasn't counting on with all this ......

we often see boats go over and then righted only to be blown straight back over the other way, the pole and your weight stops this from happening to a very large degree, I tried it out on the w/end as a solo setup in 25~30knot winds and deliberately let it be in a position to do the rock n roll over thing.... but once I had that pole it wasn't going anywhere

207_zps77618804.jpg

208_zpsb7cba339.jpg

this bit is still not there as yet ;)

the rope comes about a metre out of the pole with the occky cord doing the retracting job, the idea was once the boat was completely upside down then I could grab the rope and use it off the side to get the leverage I need to get it up....

needs more thought this one, not 100% happy with it...

206_zps43364d0a.jpg

The small bolt at the end is the stop point for the rope......

pity this bit is not as good as I hoped, the rest is just bloody awesome to use, and as I said earlier on the light wind days I can just leave it in the sail-box, 2 shackles & one small bolt and its off or on as desired.....

for now I'm not over concerned on the weight factor ( and no it don't weigh that much either) so its going to stay fitted for now as I develop it a bit more in the fully upside-down situation.....

212_zps11cd74fb.jpg

so....

how does that fit in with what you guys were thinking......

do-able ????

:p

so now I've done the hard bit for you all.....

can anyone come up with a way of modifying it to work in the completely upside-down or the I'm stuffed now position ????

[insert a somewhat puzzled look emotion here]

;)

Hi Guy's... I have just found and joined the forum. Not many had internet when I last sailed competitive (mid 90's) so this sort of discussion was not possible. I have followed this topic for a few days so 10/10 to Pirate for the photos and info, great stuff mate. When I sailed a Mozie we typically just stood on the bottom board and held the top one, lent back and then ducked to grab the front beam. The righting pole looks like a hell of a good idea to me now :). There were times back then when I wished I would have had one.

Anyway being an "ole" cat sailor last weekend I bought an arrow because sitting on the beach became tooooo difficult .... watching others and thinking they needed to trim things a lil....bit. etc. etc.

So now I have an Arrow, an absolute love of sailing and racing,  joint replacements and some very tired, worn bones....... but still the need for speed.

And I need to know the easy way to right an arrow quickly with a fairly worn out body :)

Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Happy sailing to you all.

PS. Oh yeah....... any info on the history of Arrow 1616 would be good. (foam sandwich)

:)

I need to know the easy way to right an arrow quickly with a fairly worn out body :)

Like your good self....... I'm certainly no spring chicken, & years of abuse of this old body has certainly taken its toll.... one of the reasons I added the pole :)

Cant see any reason as to why a similar setup cant be added to your Arrow, just set it off to one side of the centreboard and mount the hinge on the front beam instead of the centre beam. One 'shroud' will be slightly longer than the other so you'd just have to be aware of it when fitting if you remove and replace it as per the weather.....

The only hiccup I can see is a snap-lock like I've done........

I'm sure a well placed bit of occy-cord would work just as well, it did on the mozzie when I was first setting it up, the conduit snap-lock came well after everything else was done.

;)

On another note.......

I've received a PM about the setup requesting a bit more info......

The alloy pipe measures

25mm internal diameter..... 30mm external diameter, giving it a 2.5mm wall thickness.

Available from any metal supplier although some may have to order it in as it wouldn't be 'normal stock'.

Cost  ???? ................ I don't know....... this was a left-over offcut I had laying around the shed, but from memory it was about $25 for the 6m length.

hope that helps

;)

Thanks for that Pirate.

I think your right, just off centre the pole a bit and it should work fine.

It's going to be a couple of weeks before I get the arrow wet as I have to do a few jobs on it first. Fixing board and blades.

I also saw in your photo's the beach rollers. I'm wondering where I might get the drums from?

I also see there is another thread on them so will follow up there.

cheers :)

If you make sure the top of your mast is sealed you shouldn't have any problem righting the Arrow, I purchased 3 Arrows and 2 Arafura Cadets from KI for junior sailing here when everybody got out of them over there, it's great to see an Arrow back there again. A sealed mast and a righting rope underneath and your boat will pop up, the kids here loved tipping the Arrows deliberately and righting when racing got boring, one day all five boats went over during a race and the rescue boat raced over to help but turned out they all agreed to muck around instead of race

• 2 months later...

post-22909-0-65021700-1399688889_thumb.jpost-22909-0-15017100-1399688912_thumb.j

one is a pic of side attachment, one of pole in righting position

added another spectra line to stop pole going over 90 degrees forward and this also helps to close

works on land ?

weakest point is forward attachment to front beam[spin pole beak ??]

Your main attachment to the beam may be strong enough as you don't have much leverege with the pole centred but you can wrap some spectra around the shackle and main beam to help. Normally with a righting pole you have a triangular shaped rope with stopper knots going through loops so when you go over you lift the pole slip the stopper knot through the loop then hang from the same height as the top hull, by the time your body is supported in the water the boat is up.

this also helps to close

works on land ?

don't panic about the closing of the arm, it doesn't have much effect on boat performance if its left dangling in the water. The boats movement will push the arm back up to the water surface and its an easy reach over the back beam to lift and lock it back in your clip once your going again..... if you sail sloop then the crew can also reach over the front beam and slam it back into place

;)

I've tested mine several times now, some were intentional and others were actual racing accidents :cool:

No mods are needed on my setup at this stage, it works extreamly well as it is...... BUT ......

I have found I have one problem that there is no real answer for at this stage

In really heavy winds (~30 plus knots) I've found the pole isn't great, the wind pressure on the tramp equals my weight out on the pole so all I end up doing is to hang there while the mast tip bobs just above the waves, as the gusts come n go the mast rises a bit and the drops back down as the next gust strikes...... This isn't an issue when I sail sloop, the crew's added weight makes it a simple and quick righting as per usual.

Swimming the bow into the wind and then clambering up onto the hull and hanging on the pole in heavy winds is an art I haven't perfected as yet, you need to be damn quick to get it right or your repeating the process all over again.... equals knackered at the end of it !!!

I've also done the wrong-way righting..... intentionally fully capsized the boat and righted it from the leeward side, this used the wind on the tramp to assist with the righting and she popped up so fast it went straight back over again..... normal !!!....

On the 2nd attempt I hung onto the pole like my life depended on it, this worked, my body weight and the water resistance slowed the motion right down and as I hung there under the water the nose came up into the wind and up I came and off we went again.

Unfortunately the tramp specifications on the mozzie don't allow the open netting type trampolines, that one simple change would solve much of the issue of righting the mosquito in heavy winds as the side air would pass through the tramp rather than the current tramp acting like a sail.

At the Easter Regatta @ Lake Bolac I went over in very heavy winds, it was so bad a day that only 5 of us finished the race !!!, I was stuffed after I got the boat back upright but thankfully only had a few hundred meters to the finish line..... back on shore I was supprised on how many asked how the hell I got it righted .... I dare say there's plenty of poles being made right now

you are definitely right about practical operation

practice rights always seem to go ok

but in conditions when you actually go over, another matter

in high winds hard enough to get boat around into wind and my boat another two foot longer :(

have had same prob slipping off hull as boat comes up

just sustaining body weight against boat long enough a struggle particularly at sixth or tenth attempt

crew an answer but i got no friends

thanks for all the help and pics

will post when i give it a test

in high winds hard enough to get boat around into wind ........

I think it's the main problem we experience.......

I've tried several different ways to achieve that "into the wind" move and it's a bit of a luck of the draw event as far as my luck runs ...

One one occasion I've even had the crash-boat struggling to keep the bow into the wind using a rope through the front shroud mounts !!

The solution we found that worked the best was to take the mast tip around and then maintain the boats position with that, the same seems apply when there's a crew, a good buoyancy vest helps considerably if the crew is capable enough of lifting the mast tip just clear of the water.....

The old "sit on the bow" doesn't work for me, even with a crew's added weight on the bow we simply seem to drift sideways across the water..... It's all directly related to the tramp mesh being so tight in its weave, overcoming the wind load on that is the trick.

I guess when you think about it, it's very much like holding a sheet of tin in the wind.... I can probably hold and manoeuvre a sheet that's similar in area size to the 'airborne' hull but add the area of the tramp to that and it simply overcomes my strength .....

:)

Archived