cat righting

ymick

Hi

I have had trouble righting my Nara 4.5 on my own as well. In fact it was very difficult, I did manage it after 30 minutes but it was way too hard.

I notice you can buy a righting bag system online at murrays.com and no doubt at other places as well. I just found that when searching. It comes with a 4:1 pulley system. I might try and set up my own version of that and see how it goes. With a large enough bag and a 4:1 pulley it should be straight forward and reliable.

Has anyone else used such a system?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Owen did you throw your righting line over the top of the hull or have a setup inside the hulls, throwing a line over the top of the hull adds another foot or so to your lever if you imagine the boat is your lever the longer the lever the easier to right

Hi

I have been away on holiday.

I haven't bought or made anything yet but here are a couple of images off the net that show it goes over the top hull and even over your shoulder as well for extra leverage though I haven't tried myself.

Here are a few links that show the options:

http://www.murrays.com/01-3280.html

http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/murrays-2325/accessories-for-catamaran-and-dinghy-sailing-windsurfing-and-kiteboarding-11952/page-39.html

The Hobie righting bag is shown in their accessories catalogue on page 16 that you can download from this link

http://cdn.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/87367224-international-sailing-parts-catalog-optimized.pdf

Hope that helps

Owen

The righting bag does work as it adds heaps more weight where you need it, I was wondering about why you can't get the cat up without assistance, thats why I asked if you have tried throwing your righting line over the top of the hulls as a lot of people have a system under the tramp but it shortens the mechanical advantage of throwing over the top, I had trouble righting the Stingray with the undertramp system but no trouble over the top of the hull, would be good if you took it in the shallows and tried righting it and perhaps had someone next to you if you needed more weight they could pull on the righting line and you could gauge how much help you need, if you have an 80kg person hanging next to you and still can't get it up you know the bag won't do the job. 

• 2 months later...

There are two righting pole options that to my untrianed eye would give better leverage than pirates system. They may not be as easy to use, light weight etc etc but worth a look. They are both on U tube. The first is  F18 Katamaran hobie cat Tiger aufrichten  by skyper 40. The next is Gary friesen solo - Right prototype proof 9 11 99 . Sorry i don't know how to do proper links!

F18 Katamaran hobie cat Tiger aufrichten  by skyper 40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm5FIkmx8Ao

Gary friesen solo - Right prototype proof 9 11 99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCbihZsXESg

I'm not saying mines perfect, but a far as deployment and pack away time, I could have righted and capsized again and re-righted in their time frame

Way too slow ;)

• 10 months later...

Another tip someone gave me with righting, without bags or any other mechanism, is this.

Normally, after releasing the sheets and turning the cat until it is 45 degrees to the wind, people get up on the lower hull, grab the righting rope (which is over the top hull) and pull back and lean out.

As an alternative, do all that but instead of getting up on the lower hull, try to lie with your back on the water with your feet against the bottom of the lower hull, and the righting rope in your hand and then pull yourself up. This means you start with the maximum leverage on the cat because you are horizontal right from the start. You should have a life jacket on of course. As you pull the cat will come down, just watch your head of course.

You may need to extend the length of your righting line but try it out. It worked for me.

• 5 months later...

I see this is an old Topic but the problem remains ,looked  at your centre righting pole idea. I have a HYDRA would like to fit similar but a bit concerned re strength of foward

Beam (no dolphin striker support, every hole under mast compression is a concern)

I am thinking an A frame should do the same,

Shipwright

• 1 month later...

spot on, it's been a pretty long thread and I don't know if I covered it before but the magic in the righting pole is the simplicity of its operation. The rope for it has to go in a triangle from the end of the pole to one side of the forebeam down the beam to the other side then back to the end of the pole. The rope has big stopper knots tied in it and runs through loops at the beam, so when capsized you just grab the pole which is pulled back under the tramp by bungy, pull it to centre, lift it so the stopper knot engages in the loop, keeping the pole up, then lean back and right the boat, let go of the pole it retracts but not to centre, once on the boat let the stopper out of the loop and pole centres. Don't cut your pole length until you have worked out how far out you need to hang for leverage to right, the pole has to be at an angle of your arms stretched above your head when standing on the bottom hull on or you loose righting force as you go in the water

Archived