Jib Cut and Rainbow Beads

2 questions purely out of curiosity - 

I notice on some taipans the foot of the  jib is pretty high (about boom height) and on others it looks to be lower. Is this something that's adjustable? Are there different Jib options?

Also, what do the coloured beads on each side of the tramp do? Are they adjusting something?

You'll get much faster (and more accurate) replies on the taipan forums.

The only restriction on the height you fly the jib at is that it cant extend below the intersection of the forestay and the fwd shrouds (refered to as the strop in our rules) and that this intersection has to be at least 600mm above the deck.  Beyond that any variation you're seeing is related to how the jib is fixed at the tack and a small amount due to sail cut.

A photo of the "beads" would be useful but I suspect you're looking at the sheeting angle adjustment.  This is achieved in a range of ways with either individual loops, lacing through multiple ees, a chain or a set of beads like I think you're describing.  The idea is that you move the jib blocks from point to point to control the angle.  I think your coloured beads are providing and easy index so you can check that both sides are between red and blue or similar.

http://taipan.asn.au/Pgen.php?thumb=P57&alpha=G&title=General 5.7s

Same Boat with a class legal sail.

We're actually in the process of re-writing all the Taipan rules and I've asked all the 5.7 owners I can find for feedback on what they want done with the sail rules. I also contacted Goodall a while ago and asked for confirmation of what they've been providing but they haven't been forthcoming with any dimensions.

Ah ok that makes sense. I guess I'm interested in moving up to a 4.9 at some stage when I'm a better sailor and the only thing I don't like about taipans is the way the jib looks being so high (petty, i know) but I guess for now that's how they'll stay. I would have thought a lower jib would give better performance too so I'm always surprised at why they've been designed to sit so high.

Bit more of an update for you the rules for the 5.7 as they currently stand (not what's on the taipan site)

c. HEADSAIL (Standard)

The sail maker shall certify on the measurement tag that items ii to xii correctly measure

i. The headsail shall be carried on the forestay.

The tack shall not extend below the intersection of the forestay with the forestay strop.

A device shall be used to prevent adjustment of the tack below this point.

ii. Only zip, `Velcro', and sleeve luff's are allowed

iii. The `Triangulation' method of measurement shall be used if the width of the sail at the head exceeds 50mm.

For the purpose of this rule the width at the head shall be measured at right angles to the luff through the highest point of the sail on the luff, to the line of the leech, extended if necessary.

iv. The length of the leech shall be not more than 5600mm.

v. The length of the luff shall be not more than 5760mm.

vi. The length of the foot shall be not more than 2000mm.

vii. The maximum foot round will be 50mm.

viii. At a point on the leech 200mm down from the head, the nearest point on the luff shall be not more than

110mm distant.

ix. At the half leech point the nearest point on the luff shall be not more than 930mm distant.

The half leech point shall be found by folding head to clew and smoothing the sail out flat.

x. Up to three battens are allowed in the leech only. Each batten shall be perpendicular to the leech, not be more than

300mm in length and not more than 20mm in width.

xi. The leech shall be in no place convex

xii. Headsail clew boards larger than 60mm in any dimension are prohibited.

Only one sheet attachment point is permitted.

Optional Self Tacking Headsail

iv. The length of the leech shall be not more than 5800mm.

v. The length of the luff shall be not more than 6000mm.

vi. The length of the foot shall be not more than 1500mm.

vii. The maximum head width will be 50mm.

viii. The maximum foot round will be 50mm.

ix. At the half leech point the nearest point on the luff shall be not more than 690mm distant.

The half leech point shall be found by folding head to clew and smoothing the sail out flat.

x. Up to three battens are allowed in the leech only. Each batten shall be not more than 20mm in width.

xi. The leech shall be in no place convex

These are coming up for review and I suspect what is shown in your video above will become legal.  i don't see any changes coming for the 4.9 jib

Archived