Older plywood cat

I had 1 of these for a few years. then I got a QC (from Freecycle) and used the alloy beams / tramp from the solo on the QC - any crew that come along appreciate it more than the crucifix.

very similar boats.

I prefer the QC (still sail it from time to time) as the stick is much further fwd, makes the balance better and tacking much easier in my opinion. does tend to nose dive more however weight shifting is an easy prevention for that. I have a trap on it (no spreaders) but as the mast is so far fwd its only good for the crew.

• 2 years later...

Hi  another newbie to this site, I was the last Secretary /Treasurer of the Victorian Quickcat Association prior to it's disbandment, the last President Jim Etheridge and myself designed the new aluminium bridgedeck  in a last ditch effort to combat the loss of skippers to the Dolphin, yep I am an old salt. Some oldies may remember we had what we called a country championship to help promote the Quickcat in country areas, this was the brainchild of a Sorrento Y C Skipper John Good (Black Sails) Yes I did sail against Bob Foreman and the last of the great champs Alan Goodall, when sailing against them it was only a battle for second place, being a lousy skipper the only way I could beat them was on a Tornado. 

Still have the Quickcat promotional 8mm home movie and also the 8th Australian Quickcat Championship held at Elwood 1974-75, thinking of getting them digitised.

• 1 year later...

Just found this website and thread so it might be too long for any comments but I have a 16' Solo cat that I bought maybe 35+ years ago from a Lake Boga sailor. Her name then was "Beowulf". It needed some cosmetic repairs at the time which I accomplished and it gave many years of enjoyment for our young family and friends - Lake Boga, Lake Cullulleraine, Lake Hindmarsh, Corio Bay, etc. Some years later it played a part in the introduction to my second wife ... also on Lake Boga but only briefly took the water afterwards! It was stored, safely I thought, under a lean-to at our Sea Lake home. In 2016 when about to leave Sea Lake for our new home in Bendigo, I discovered that part of rear of one hull had taken in water and rotted so it was stored in a friend's barn until such time as I could get her to Bendigo to be restored. There are now 8 grandchildren coming along so I fully intend her to take her part in teaching those grandies the joy and knowledge of sailing. Once restored it will be going back to our son's in Swan Hill where again she will enjoy the thrills of Lake Boga but might make her debut on Lake Eppalock prior to her journey north. I'll publish some photos as we go this time as first time around was long before the internet!

• 2 years later...
On 7/28/2014 at 8:36 PM, rosscos said:

Somewhat new here I have come across a perfectly preserved plywood cat in a garage.

Apparently the class is a Solo 16 that was designed in the early 70's. 

Anyone know the history or if any are stil sailing?

On 10/10/2015 at 2:50 AM, Dave Shatwell said:

The cat is certainly a Solo 16, I built one in the 1970s. It was fast and fun to sail, easy to fly a hull and never nose-dived. The designer lived in Adelaide but I have forgotten his name, does anyone remember?

The designer's name was Geoff Miller of Marino Sth Australia

On 7/28/2014 at 8:36 PM, rosscos said:

Somewhat new here I have come across a perfectly preserved plywood cat in a garage.

Apparently the class is a Solo 16 that was designed in the early 70's. 

Anyone know the history or if any are stil sailing?

I sailed a Solo 16 for many years. Many championships were held at Lake Boga yacht club

• 1 month later...