Will I be able to sail a catamaran after a total knee replacement?

Pete

Hi guys

It has been 2 months since I had a total knee replacement.  I am struggling a bit with the recovery and a little concerned that I won't be able to sail my mighty Maricat.  I had the operation in the hope that I would be able to sail it again.

Anyone on the forum had a knee replaced, or know of anyone that has had one and can still sail cats?

David Micelef had both done at the same time and has just replaced his square top foam windy for a Taipan.

Mick the Maricat had both hips done and continues to tell us he's the best sailor ever (and quite possibly is!).

I think it's all about excercise and determination.  I think both Dave and Mick lost quite a few kgs in the process.

Hope I'm not telling tales out of school here, apologies if I am.

Thats like, I went to the doctor and he said I had to have surgery on my hand, "Oh will I be able to play the guitar to a profession standard after my hand heals" I asked him.  "With proper exercise and stretching I can't see why not", was his reply.  "Great" I answered "cause I'm real shit at playing it at the moment".

......... I am struggling a bit with the recovery ......... 

With what in-particular may I ask ????

Learning to "walk" without the limp ???

Old mate had a hip replaced about 9 months ago and although the surgery and subsequent recovery did knock the daylights out of him, the biggest issue became learning to walk again and teach his body it no-longer needed to "rock n roll" because the pain had gone.... The other issue he now has is the spine is now causing  pain because its back in the normal place where it hasn't been for years when he walks

The surgery recovery's biggest issue was mainly from the amount of blood that needed to be replaced by his own body, at a guess I'd say he lost ~20kgs, fair bit for a bloke that struggled to tip the 70kg mark at his heaviest !!!!!  

Pete, I guess two months would put you in the cycle of doubt.  Keep at it, don't give up, keep up the exercise, keep going.  Strength is the solution.

If you're in Sydney go see my daughter, she's a chiro - she'll sort you out.  Tell her "dad sent you" (hahaha). 

Dave was quite a surprise - he said that the pain kept waking him up so he'd go out on the deck and do exercise.  not sure if I could do that but then I don't have crap knees (yet).

So, yes it's been done.  So, yes you can do it.

Pete I  ruptured my Posterior Cruciate Ligament last July not a knee replacement but still a major injury for me .Four months later and quite a bit of physio I was still struggling I purchased a Don joy knee brace and wet suite leggings with a lot of padding around the knee together It felt secure and got me back on the water

It will improve it just takes time hope this helps .

Thank you for the replies.  It is nice to know that there is at least one success story out there.  I have been quite diligent with the physio and I am walking a couple of kilometres on the beach every day.  The replaced knee has quite good range of movement but there is still quite a bit of pain during physio.  I think I am walking better now than before the operation, but it sure feels a little strange.  If I manage to walk with good posture then the sciatic nerve pain is minimal.

My biggest concern will be kneeling during tacking manouvers.  If David can do it, then it gives me some hope. I may have to go sloop rigged to help with the tacking.

Thank you for that James. I am more hopeful now that by the time summer arrives I may be ready.  Will keep hitting the physio even though the progress seems slow.

The predicted top temperature here in Hobart today is 12 with a little rain.  The weather will have to be better at Toukley!!!

• 10 months later...

Archived