Sundance 4.3 Rigging Questions

telf

Hi all.  I originally posted this to the bottom of another Sundance thread, then realised it was probably not the proper place for it.

I have recently purchased a pretty little Sundance 4.3, because the H18 is a bit of a handful to rig and sail solo and because I know I would never be able to right it if it went over.

The Sundance isn't in bad shape for its age (thanks Darryl), but previous owners have done some "interesting" things to the rigging.  As far as I know, the forestay bridle should attach to the inner hull lips about a foot back from the bows.  This one has them attached to the very tip of the bows, Hobie 14/16 style, to a saddle.  There are two other pair of holes in about the correct position.  Can anyone tell me how far back from the bow the correct position is?

The side stays are similar.  They also attach to saddles bolted throughout the hull join lip, but there is evidence of a single hole a little further aft.  Is that likely to be the original position of the side stay, or might it have been a hole for trapeze bungee location?  How far aft of the forward cross beam should this point be?

Should there be a hook and ring at the top of the mast to lock the main, or is the bitter end meant to tie off at the bottom of the mast as it currently does?

Any tips on rigging and sailing would be most welcome....as would the proper stay and bridle wire lengths.

It doesn't appear that these stay attachment points have been moved because of damage, but rather, to adapt to different length stays.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

telf

post-198419-0-36390800-1434752808_thumb.

• 3 months later...

Archived