Need Maricat Parts

saramona16

Just thought it might be worth explaining - the rivets on the cam cleat are done from the underside up - this means that the rivet is nice and smooth on the underside of the fibreglass release device - the underneath of the rivet is therefore on the top and needs filing/cutting down. It doesn't help that whoever did this (previous owner) used steel centres that have gone rusty!

They were there when I got the boat.  I have heard that possibly they were a replacement, apparently someone noticed that the rudder stocks were broken when Dave had the boat so I have no idea of the source of the devices, only that they don't work! 

Maybe they are originals but forced to work on the bigger diameter (although I never knew there were different diameters) which might be the reason they don't work.

Awww, I thought I might be onto a winner there Mick!!

In order to release the 'device' you (that is I) have to use a large screwdriver and lever it up - it does work but I reckon an impact will tear the transom out before the release unlocks.  Maybe I can cut them back a bit, question is how much.  Have to say that when I got the boat, on one tiller the cleat had been riveted right through to the tiller arm!

Saramona14 you need to understand that it is a well rehearsed practice on these forums to get away from the original subject as quickly as possible (once the original question has been answered of course - "forum drift" )

Saramona14, if it was me (and I know others have very different views) I'd use epoxy.  Our local boat guy sold me some triax I think it was that was pretty much three layers of two biaxial and one of square weave.  Also it had binders that disolve in epoxy, some don't and become hard to wet out.  If you read around the web it seems that epoxy is a better product for the mechanical bonding that has to occur once the original material has cured.  I think what I might do on yours is, once the hatches (holes only at this stage remember) are in place I'd put a couple of layers of this stuff behind then bog into it from the outside.  I don't think for a moment that it'll look pretty but it may allow you to go out and get some sailing in.  While you have the epoxy, just check your keel line to make sure there are no holes there or about to form - seems to be most common with Mari's that they've been dragged along the ground so the gelcoat rubs out leaving the glass underneath, then that goes too.

Archived