Hi all, I brought a windie 14 cheap (in NZ sail No. 2093) that was in need for some TLC. Needed a new rudder (or two), some glass on the bottom of the hulls, work on the road trailer and a face lift would make it look a million bucks! But for the price it was still cheaper to buy it and invest in it and end up with a nice play boat. The sort of thing that I can come home use and put away, not really worrying too much about maintenance. However today while I rolled her over to work on the bottom of the hulls we herd something go clunk inside the Port hull.  On closer inspection it feels that the Bulkheads inside the hull or what ever gives it structural support has become dislodged. The hull has a lot of movement (2-5cm) on both sides, compared to the other hull which is rather ridged.  So my question is this; does anyone have any information of the layout of the internals inside the hull and how much effort/time and money is required to fix it?  At this point I am leaning toward cutting my losses and buying a 'not so big project' or another class of boat.  Any advise? Is it worth giving this boat another breath of life... or parting it out?  Many Thanks, James.

James, there are 2 x 3 piece, horizontal foam bulkheads  running the length of Windy hulls, the top front 1 is the largest and most important 

though not critical for a pleasure/non race boat. You would be safe to sail your windy as is, though bouyancy in that particular hull will be decreased slightly.

The repair is rarely worth the effort, unless you are racing, and the hulls were minimum weight. 

@Daecy1945, thanks for the advice. Having thought about it some more, I think the best option is to sell it onto someone that has the time to fix up which is otherwise a really good boat or looking for a donor boat.

If anyone In New Zealand is looking for a project boat or a Donor boat, She is fully rigged, sails and spars in good condition, with road trailer that needs some work (has surface rust) and problem re Hull talked about above. Please don't hesitate to contact me on: Zero Two Seven 8 8 5 One Two Eight Five. Cheers  James  

Hi James, Where are you? If you're anywhere near Clarks Beach let me know. We have a small group of Windrush14 owners and we're trying to build up some numbers. The Windrush14 is good fun, economic sailing, especially with a group of them. If you still want to quit the boat, message me, I may be keen.

Archived