My Helmet moment

slammer

A water sports helmet saved me a trip in an ambulance today, and possibly a long stay in hospital.

Not a real fan of the Helmet I adopted the lid.

Working towards the lay line for the top mark I was able to get a little above a F18. He was busy gardening and removing weed from his daggers. As we entered more pressure close to the sand bank the F18 pulled ahead. I dipped lower to pick up speed and sacrifice some advantage. The F18 was going to call to tack as we were running out of water depth. (we were both port tack) As I was on the F16 I knew I could run a little closer to the bank. Thus avoiding a possible tack as the lay line is a near thing.

The F18 tacked and I dipped lower to run behind, you know,  that close thing where you just avoid the stern and the rudders. But the F18 touched bottom and absolutely stopped, I dipped further staring at the stern and boards I drove lower. Out on the wire I skimmed over the stern of the F18. Then smash I collided with the boom. Never saw it coming as I was so intent on avoiding the boat. The boom hit me just at the start of the helmet, just between the eye socket and temple.

There was enough force from contact with the boom that the edge of the helmet pushed in and I was bleeding from a gash about 8-10cm long. There's a mark on the side of the helmet and today (the following day) my jaw hurts and I still have a decent egg on the side of my head- people at work literally stop and asked "What happened to you?"

The bruising is coming out and it hurts to chew.

Without a helmet I would have sustained some serious injuries and may have been knocked out. None of us are great swimmers when we’re unconscious ever.

There’s nothing wrong with a helmet.

Just sayin'

Archived