mast float

alan c

hello i just got an old maricat to learn how to sail and have a bit off fun .was just wondering how big mast floats have to be to work or if someone could put a photo of one up.am going to check the mast for leaks than tie a 20 liter plastic drum to it .i tipped it over the other day and it went turtle virtually straight away as being inexperienced i had no idear how to right it luckily a bloke on a jetski  came and helped me and he new what to do. it still  took a lot to get upright two 100kg men 

First you need a righting rope.  Mine is an old 8mm mainsheet, I think it's about 8m long.  It ties to the dolphin striker strut and rolls into the pocket that's at the front of my tramp.   There are other arrangements.

When capsized you climb onto the bottom hull, get the righting rope and pass it over the top hull (or if turtled under the hull you want to be the top hull when it comes out of the water).  Just watch the fibreglass as in some places it's quite flexy.

Make sure the mainsheet is uncleated and the traveller too.

So, you have your righting line in hand - you're standing on one hull, it's going right accross the cat, over the hull and back to it's anchor point on the dolphin striker.

You can walk back to get the bows starting to come out of the water which sometimes helps get pointed into the wind.

Lean back.  Get your feet on the underside of the deck coaming - there's usually a reasonably lip there.

Lean back.

Lean back and move around - this should allow you to start to get the sail accross the wind so when the boat comes up the bows will be into the wind.

It should start to come up.  A couple of extra heaves (I'm quite light) will get it so that the top hull starts to come down onto the water.  The mast does need to be watertight.

Don't bother trying to climb up onto the hull - get so that you are holding the front beam.  This can be useful in heavier winds because you need to act as a sea anchor to stop the boat from whipping over and capsizing the other way.

Once up you can heave yourself onto the tramp.

Great things about cats is you can pretty much sit there and recover before moving off once more.

There are other methods like righting bags - bags that can be filled with water and hung over your shoulder or righting poles - eg bit of broken carbon windsurfer mast hinged at the dolphin striker and kept in place under the cat with bungee and clips.  Pull the pole out and use it as a lever.

One of the Paper Tiger sailors even has a small rope ladder tucked into a pocket at the front of the tramp.

• Like 1

thanks for the replies i just replaced the ropes under the tramp as we broke them when i tryed to right it before.it had a roller set up with ropes and bunge cord to keep it tight i just done the same hope that system works okay.may tye a rope to as nobblyoldjimbo said reckon that 20 liter drum would look ugly so i can go smaller thanks

The system with the bungee cord and ropes is what Maris had originally, and is what I still use, saves having to get a rope out of a pocket throw it over a hull etc etc.  Many times I have capsized and righted and caught back up to the fleet and have had other sailors comment, "When you capsized I reckoned you were done for this race, that is the quickest recovery I've seen".  Due no doubt to not having to dig for a rope in the pocket pass it here pass it there.  And I'll second that the 2 plastic milk bottles are enough, (if the mast is sealed).  Also it pays to put your location in Alan, there may very well be a fellow maricater just around the corner who may have all the good tips to get your boat going as it should.

• Like 1

thanks for that korwich its good to no the old system works the only problem is i  sail in burrendong dam  near dubbo kind of and you are lucky to see another sail boat just skiers (me when its calm) and fisherman so want to be independent .have put my location in you never no hay. after last weekend  think i need to practice righting the boat near the edje with some help at hand 

On 24/12/2015 at 8:14 PM, alan c said:

thanks for that korwich its good to no the old system works the only problem is i  sail in burrendong dam  near dubbo kind of and you are lucky to see another sail boat just skiers (me when its calm) and fisherman so want to be independent .have put my location in you never no hay. after last weekend  think i need to practice righting the boat near the edje with some help at hand 

Hi Alan

Bought my boat from Orange for $400.00,  the guy I bought it off used to sail it a bit at Burrendong.  There is a sailing club out at Carcoar Dam.  We (Maricat Assoc) had our nationals out there a few years ago.  Sailing clubs also at Oberon (held our nationals there last year) and Wallerewang.  They all have or have had Maris sailing there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2015 at 3:24 PM, alan c said:

thanks for the replies i just replaced the ropes under the tramp as we broke them when i tryed to right it before.it had a roller set up with ropes and bunge cord to keep it tight i just done the same hope that system works okay.may tye a rope to as nobblyoldjimbo said reckon that 20 liter drum would look ugly so i can go smaller thanks

Hi Alan,

If you're able to zoom in on this photo you can see the rope setup under the tramp and running between the hulls under the dolphin striker. I assume this is factory as I have not changed it.

Maricat 4.3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...