Nacra 4.5 - pivmatic rudder conversion?

genefewings

Hi All.

Ive got a NACRA 4.5 2011 that im contemplating converting to a pivmatic rudder system. I believe this is the pop up system from earlier models.

I am wanting to do this in case of rudder impact.

The current system has cleats on the rear beam and a rope that joins both rudders that runs accross the tramp. I think its called a piggy system 

Just wondered if anyone has had experience with both systems and can tell me pros and cons of leaving it as it is or putting on pivmatics 

Yes!

Piggy Russell was the first in Nacra to use this system along with the pre bent tiller arms which has been developed into the Ackerman system. This is from Hobie 14 days where pre bent tiller arms were used for years.

Piggy system it is!!!

Check with the Measurer first though??

The rope pull down system has many good points including being able to be applied from all over the boat by skipper or crew including from on the wire. Has infinite adjustability to allow for shallow water etc.

Generally, the cam cleats overload and release if you hit a very heavy obstruction.

The Whole Russell family have done a lot for Nacra sailors since 1984/85.

They know A LOT!!!

HI Gene,

the system on your boat is OK for racing but if you are a social sailor it has the potential to split your rudder if you hit the bottom before you put the rudder up.   The pivomatic system is far superior to the one you have on your boat in that it will kick up the rudder if you hit the bottom and not split the rudder.  Contact me via Facebook or give me a call on 0438 723 079 to discuss this further.

Roscoe at Brisbane Cats can supply the fitting you need to convert the rudder back to pivomatic, it it not expensive to do and far cheaper than repairing a split rudder which is a major problem with the piggy rope system.

Craig

11 hours ago, Grubby said:

Yes!

Piggy Russell was the first in Nacra to use this system along with the pre bent tiller arms which has been developed into the Ackerman system. This is from Hobie 14 days where pre bent tiller arms were used for years.

Piggy system it is!!!

Check with the Measurer first though??

The rope pull down system has many good points including being able to be applied from all over the boat by skipper or crew including from on the wire. Has infinite adjustability to allow for shallow water etc.

Generally, the cam cleats overload and release if you hit a very heavy obstruction.

The Whole Russell family have done a lot for Nacra sailors since 1984/85.

They know A LOT!!!

Thank you for the like genefewings. ?

Archived