Hobie 16 Mast Wanted

Gregor

Just bought a H16 in great condition for its age. 30 years old and always garaged.

The mast has been left outside and has a lot of pitting on it. Its the entire length of one side only, with a couple of holes right the way through. I'm guessing it was a stainless/aluminium reaction.

So I'm after a new mast.

Any suggestions where else I should be looking? Do second hand masts come up for sale often, or am I going to have to look at buying something new?

Greg (a newbie)

• Like 1

Where are you located Greg? H16 masts rarely comeup on Gumtree but if your patient you'll get something close by. I can source you a mast here in Brisbane or at least point you in the right direction. If your not in/near Brisbane try posting a wanted ad on Gumtree.

H16 mast new i'm guessing are around the $2k mark so buying another old H16 and using that would be best. Also you mention that your mast has pitting on it which is generally only cosmetic?. What are the holes from? Having a sealed mast is a must!

Cheers Matt

Sorry, should have added a location. I am in Sydney.

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 10:34 AM, Matt15 said:

Where are you located Greg? H16 masts rarely comeup on Gumtree but if your patient you'll get something close by. I can source you a mast here in Brisbane or at least point you in the right direction. If your not in/near Brisbane try posting a wanted ad on Gumtree.

H16 mast new i'm guessing are around the $2k mark so buying another old H16 and using that would be best. Also you mention that your mast has pitting on it which is generally only cosmetic?. What are the holes from? Having a sealed mast is a must!

Cheers Matt

Most is cosmetic, but a few fairly deep craters, with one hole of about 5mm diameter between the top and where the stays join on. I believe that while the rest of the cat was garaged all of its life, the mast was left out in the weather. Possibly directly on the ground.

I'm sure it will be OK for moderate winds, but am a bit worried about high winds.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...