Trampoline material for Caper Cat

I have an old 14' Caper Cat.  I put my knee through the trampoline the other day, and it is pretty far gone.

The existing mat, and most that I have seen, are like a jumping Trampoline -- a mesh, which lets the water in and out.  The trouble is that if a third person is sitting on the mat they get very wet from the splash.  I am thinking about using a waterproof material instead of the porous mat.

The mat is made in two pieces, with a big gap down the middle, which I would expect to allow them to drain pretty well.  And most of the incoming water comes up through the mat rather than up over the bar.

But I wonder if that is actually a good idea.  Have people had experience with similar?

Also, pointers as to where to get a mat.  We are on the Sunshine Coast.

• 1 month later...

There are pros and cons for both materials typically used on beach cats. What you have now is considered to be a mesh material, the alternative being vinyl. Mesh is great and serves many purposes but the vinyl whilst splash proof can also work against you i.e. as jimbo mentioned the wind catches vinyl easily when flying a hull or against you when trying to right. It also doesn't allow the water to simply fall through and will pool in areas.

There's a champ in Strathpine who can repair and manufacture new tramps at an affordable price with all the UV threads. Alternatively if your patient you can sometimes find old 14ft cat tramps.

If your a social sailor i highly recommend joining the Calypso/CaperCat facebook group too. You can find them here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1531523680399018/

They are always getting together to sail the bays and dams in and around SEQ.

HTH, Matt

Archived