4.0 Mainsail

exhogger

The old rainbow sail on my 4.0 is getting tatty and tired. Is there a sailmaker that anyone knows of that will still make a rainbow sail. 4.0's are a rare bird and second hand sails in good condition even rarer. Who makes the sails on the newer 4.3's, white with a coloured flash. I'm only club racing and don't need the latest hot racing materials.

Thanks

Ross

Thanks Darcy for your reply.

You're probably right about a 4.3. I have been able to handle the 4.0 on and off the trailer relatively easy but at 107kilo's and built out of bricks its heavier than a 4.3 anyway. I have a very good trailer, I'll have to see if I can extend the rollers to suit the 4.3. Lee Sails in Sydney will do one in Dacron for $950.

Thanks again for your response ,

Ross

The class rules say dacron only.  The redhead 'flash' sails are dacron although they use a neat ripstop dacron.

I would guess your Lee sail is $950 PLUS battens which put another 3-400 on - stil a good price though.

Rather than rollers you could try hardwood or fibreglass which spread the load over a greater area.  Rollers can / have caused bruising on the hull, generally on the front section.

On 10/11/2016 at 2:30 PM, knobblyoldjimbo said:

The class rules say dacron only.  The redhead 'flash' sails are dacron although they use a neat ripstop dacron.

I would guess your Lee sail is $950 PLUS battens which put another 3-400 on - stil a good price though.

Rather than rollers you could try hardwood or fibreglass which spread the load over a greater area.  Rollers can / have caused bruising on the hull, generally on the front section.

If you are not about to race it in state or national titles or race in a big fleet of Mari's where there may be others who want to flog the rules thing , why bother with class rules.  Get one made how and out of what ever you want.

Thats my take on it.

Archived