Roller reef code 0 on windrush

Tony Barber

Has anybody tried to roller reef a code 0 sail onto wind rush 14 using bow sprit yet. I'm ordering a sail from hong Kong same size as asymmetric kite but with only 25cm depth rather than 50 on the kite. Looking at using nautos 91193 furler kit. This should make sail more usable at a higher angle to the wind than kite. Going furling option for single man operation as well as having the ability to run a semi reefed sail when weather picks up or running it as a second foresale on light days to windward.

Costing so far.

Furler <$200 delivered.

Sail same sm as kite $300 new

Bow sprit, yet to work out.

Blocks and cleats in my shed

What are your thoughts, suggestions.

I'm hoping it will be scary fast, and I'm hard to scare

Tony

dongaratv@gmail.com

RF1246 sorry. 

Large Above Deck Jib Furler Height 114mm (RF1246)

I went with the bigger furler so i can use a bigger diameter rope and cam cleat, for a crude cheap way of roller reefing as i have a small budget.

Hong Kong Sailmakers.

They make an affordable, quality sail. I have had good experiences with them using there sails on a 9m prout.

As code 0 is a loose term for a sail(from screecher to Genoa) i have gone toward a flatter version that is more like a light weight furlable Genoa.

Luff : 6410mm

Leach: 5560 mm

Foot: 2950mm

so its a big sail for a windrush, having shorter leach than luff, with adjustable sheet track i should be able to create alot of lift to which is what the windrush so desperately needs

All things well and good should be installing new sail on the 9/12.

got the sail yesterday kudos to Hong Kong Sail Company. 7 days from day of order to recieved beautiful sail delivered to country WA. Australia post could learn alot from fedex.

So i have all the goodies just need to purchase pole today and put a boat together.

Sail is awesome has adjustable foot and leech with cam cleat on sail so you can set your own depth. also has rienforced pocket and stay built into front to allow for roller reefing.

The Ronstan furler i bought is the perfect size i can comfortable put 5m of 8mm sheet rope on it, more than enough. The reason for such big rope is for it to be more formidable when running a reefed sail in heavy conditions.

Saturday is build day, sunday sailing. we are going to take a second cat out as a control. currently "Bad Boy" and "Eagle 1" are both simular fast super sloops.

The sail cut "Code 0" is a loose term for anything from a genica to a genoa. I have gone more towards the genoa end of the spectrum as i want to be able to use sail or part of sail going to windward and taking advantage of the nose lift properties.

Code 0 sheet pulley positions will be critical in the amount of lift the sail provides and the amount of gain to windward as well as of the wind.

Furling is an obvious choice for 3 main reasons.

1. single person operation.

2. Running a reefed sail in heavier wind conditions still providing some advantage of additional sail where using full sail is no an option.

3. Heaps easier to put away than a sail in a chute

I think i am going to have to rake the mast back as far as possible to allow for extra foresail.

The other thing i think i will play with is the length of the bow sprit, i am concerned about having so much foresail trying to go to windward will push the nose sideways.

All these things we will find out over the weekend in sea trials.

My main objective is to use same sail area as a kite that is usable throughout alot more of a race course than a kite, and in alot more varied conditions and a sub $800.00 option which is alot more affordable to more people.

Yardsticks? have been discussing it with a few boaties. on race at PDYC i will be running on a kite yardstick, i hope to gain atleast 10% on this by having a more usable sail.

Exciting times.......

• Like 1

Tony, I would be interested to see how well that sail furlers. Also have you considered a 2:1 ratio on the furler eg. every foot you pulls furlers 2 feet (see below pictures).

I would be very impressed if you can partially furl and get a reasonably shape ie. from my testing it is either furlered or not. Windsurfer masts make excellent poles!

Cheers,

Carl

sw_furler_poleend.gif sw_pole_overall.gif

• Like 1

Wow what a different boat.

Sail was really well made accept the put a belly on the leech that makes no sense what so ever. I am getting local bloke to trim and reshape the leech.

Furler...Works awesome. Easy of use awesome singleman operation

Sheet rope ran from sail to side stay pulley then attached cam cleat slider the same as jib one next to the jib.

Day 1 sea trial 5 to 7knots unbeleavable amount of difference, sail was usable on all tacks including to windward. Nose was lifted out of water by sail. No weather helm on rudders.

Day 2 sea trial 15knots plus, pulled sail out on a reach, wasn't game to cleat it, let main go almost and I was truly scared lol with a big handful of foresail. It was way to windy.

In conclusion peftect sail for <10-12Knots and single handed operation adds so much boat speed on all tacks. Looking for some milder Days. Maybe Geraldton YC next weekend if not to windy, rounding up some H 16'S ;)

Yeah I dont Know what happened with the cut it is a beautiful sail but instead of a straight cut rear edge in has a rounded cut that fold the last 5 inches of sail back on itself.

When sheeted hard the rest of the sail pulls down like a massive jib accept for that flap. Which introduced drama at high winds trying to run it as a reefed sail. The flap became a violent flap.

So luckily one of the fellas in our club has a mate who has a zig zag sewing machine, so its of to get a sail mod this week and try again on the weekend.

More days out will give me more results, but the wind yesterday was violent gusting to 25 knots.

I dropped the foresail of and was reeching up and down out on the wire standing on the back corner of w14 loving life, teeting on the point of nose dive screaming along, then copped a gust and got catapulted over the top of the mast as the front went under lol..........Thats living. had an absolute fat time.

Reefing worked so well, smooth and easy in and out.

Sprit is 40mmx3mm wall, i am going to make spreader underneath sprit, to stop it bending so much in big wind. having said that you can lift whole boat up from front of sprit

No that is its sail number. Shes a pretty special old boat with history.

It was made to promote windrush sales overseas. It spent quite a bit of time on display in England and USA. Then in storage.

Story has it that it was made for the manifacturers dad who was an avid West Coast Eagles supporter.

The sail is getting a bit old now and its not the normal one I use, but i used it on the first few days out as it is a bit "pretty" compared to the Orange one i normaly use.

For the sprit i was just going to put a 4 or 5" high stand pointing down directly below stays that attach to front of hulls, and make spreader stay underneath sprit that goes from front to back of sprit, light weight and it will never move again. Lucky I have swage crimp press.

I will attach some close up pics of riggin and sprit when i get home this arvo

An alternate solution might be to load some pre-bend into the pole, same as the Hobie 16 SPI setup. This is done but pulling the centre of the pole upwards using a line attached to the halyard/bridle point. This then forces the tack end of the pole firmly downwards which would give you alittle more movement between the tack and head for adjustment.

Your spin looks like a typical asymmetrical cut to me with alittle belly along the leech.

Tony,

So is your Windrush a bulkhead model? Reason I ask is from around sail number 4950 ish they had a policy of any colour your like so long as it is white! An interesting Windy you have there indeed.

Pre bend on the pole can be good but be warned that if it fails it may not give any indication until it    explodes! At least you can see it bending too much without pre-bend and quickly furler if stressed. With my windsurfer mast I also thought I would need to pre-bend, but it has never bent much at all.

Please post some more pictures once that re-cut is done.

Cheers,

Carl

Hello Tony

before you recut that sail I trust you have tried all possible lead angles for sheeting?

it appears to me with that long pole and high foot you would need to sheet from the rear beam and have a turning block at shroud chainplate

im happy with mine now but changed set up twice before getting control of luff and leech with sheet

darryl

alpha omega 4.4