Roller reef code 0 on windrush

Tony Barber

Idea is to get to sail to then perfect shape to use as light wind genoa and bow lift(which it does well), then send it back to china and get them to make a few more for fellow club members as i believe 4 boats makes a racing class.

And if anyone else wants them to suit a windy i can give them contact details.

Saturday morning is 10 to 12 knot easterly till lunch perfect wind conditions. so i get a good idea on what the re-cut sail does

• 2 months later...

Ok, I had to go back to the drawing board and build another boat, one reason or another i gave the old eagle back to the bloke I bought it of.

My new windy is a barn find, Foam sandwich non bulkhead model 14ft windrush $100 needed a mast. Thanks to facebook and peoples generosity, it now has a hobie 14ft cat mast and 2 secondhand mylar mainsails of a 14ft racing skiff. 1 square top, one normal. havent found a jib yet, but dont know whether id bother with std one more likeley to buy new 6m2 one for 200 from china.

I had to make a new tramp and hopefully will be back int the water this weekend.

Total spend including new foresail, furler and windy is <$600 pretty resourceful hey.

Anyway before i got rid of the old boat we did a few trail days with other windys. one standard and one with a 6.5m2 jib, pretty much genoa.

5 to 15knots optimum sailing with big sails or its to scary.

Skipper only on all windys.

Standard boat had lighter skipper and in any sailing direction my boat speed was pretty much at least twice as fast.

I could pull on the foresail hard and head just as high to the wind as any other boat at far greater speed.

Hard on the wind, the boat with the 6.5m2 jib was pretty simular speed, any other direction I was gone.

I got game one day 15 to 18 knot winds, final reech leg, I thought stuff it flicked of the furler rope lock and grabbed a big handful of sheet rope, well stuff me felt like the boat lifted out of the water a foot and shot of. I have never ever seen a windy go so fast.

Using the ronstan furler and 5mm rope i had plenty of drum space and a big lean forward big handfull of rope and rip it back away effortlessly.

Its that easy to furl, when tacking I found it easier to furl it as i come around and then let it go easier way to get it around the front stay.

good tension on the insail stay of the code 0 is crutial for easy furling.

Ill take some pics and measurements as i put my new boat back together over the weekend for anyone that is interested in doing it them selves.

New boat name "Bring it 600", then of to Geraldton to chase down some hobbie 16's for shits and gigs.

Hi Tony,

Well done so far, Adding off-wind performance while remaining single crewed is a great idea. I have a bunch of questions.

How close to the wind can you get close hauled?

What length bowsprit are you using, is it the same length as the factory Windrush kit? Does anyone know the factory bowsprit dimensions?

It seems your bowsprit angle (height) is about 90degrees to the mast, is that what you were aiming for.

What is the measurement from the head attachment to the mast stay hounds. seems about 1300mm, Is the mast coping ok with the extra pull? I've read elsewhere in these forums that when you have the code0 out, you should keep the main sheeted in and trim with the traveller to provide some back stay type support for the top of the mast,

I noticed the luff length only just fits between head attachment and the furler, Could it possibly be a little shorter to give a little more mast rake adjustment room.

How far back on the rails are you running the cleats? 

How are you getting on with the flapping leach / sail cut?

I've attached a pic of a Switch Sails (of Brisbane) furling Code0 on a Windrider17 which has a 7.3m mast (only 300mm longer than the Windy), which has a very nice shape, and also one of the factory kite kits. I guess the the trick is, to have a few people and/or groups agree on some standard measurements, rather than everyone doing there own thing and having an array of different setups. (herding cats)

Very keen to hear more, I've already bought my furler.

Keep it up.

windrider code zero2.jpeg

windrush kite.JPG

ok bit flat out today, but the pic above shows a sail with to much belly. No good for up to the wind. when i ordered my sail i stipulated the depth 20cm from memory this way I can go hard on the wind while still getting the bow lift from having the leech shorted than the luff.

Got uni assignment to finish today, putting boat together tommorow

ok biggest wind ive pulled the sail out in is about 18knots, mast still ok, i was toying with the idea of a second set of side stays as I have the gear laying around to do that.

mast is raked as per super sloop. 1 thing i am going to do is put a spreader bar underneath the bowsprit to get the flex out of it. I just used a bit of 30mm diameter 3mm wall std ali pipe. will take more picsw later in the week just need to finish putting boat back together. got tied up yesterday, my dad found a foam sandwich windy with a second mast and mylar sails for $550 what a bargain.

I really need to re assemble boat to take pics and get measurements. It will happen this week as its on like donkey kong with me and dad next weekend. Hes running a jib of a 20ft cat as a genoa, not furling ;/ . see what happens. I also score a jib of a 20ft cat ;) so i think second set of side stays will be a must. Id much prefer to go sailing on the <12 knot days with big sails. faster smoother and just more fun

Our next project will be a 16 to 18 ft trimaran. windy 14 hulls for outriggers and a planing hull for the centre that we will build out of foam sandwich. Shallow long dagger board. got a carbon fibre mast of a skiff and sails. It will be a fast boat, need it in the water for the around carnac island race from jervious bay in about 9 months. looking for a trophy

• 6 months later...

So the new boat foam sandwich hulls std jib, main and furling 16m2 furling code 0. With fishing rod holders lol. Biggest secret suport underneath the bowsprit with wire bridge to keep it straight and 32mm 3mm wall spreader bar between front hulls. If you cant keep the code 0 stay straight it doesnt make any power to windward. It is the most important thing. Furling is also a pain in the butt if you cant keep front stay straight

I made a lightweight spinaker pole out of ali with stay quick clips. When not in use clip on side stay and push up clip on again.

Todays sail sub 10knt winds 2 up hard on the wind doinh about 10knts.

Any sort of reach the speed is awesome.

Code 0 i only use up to 18knt MAX even 2 up its scary as shit.

I have ended up with fast light wind boat that i can fish of. I normally tow a skirted lure or something for fun and like doing enduro adventure sails. 

Jib drops by halyard code 0 furls point into the wind and hover i caught a 68cm Dhu fish.

received_10155891973234903.jpeg

received_10155884203139903.jpeg

On 13/12/2016 at 7:52 AM, eragon said:

Hello Tony

before you recut that sail I trust you have tried all possible lead angles for sheeting?

it appears to me with that long pole and high foot you would need to sheet from the rear beam and have a turning block at shroud chainplate

im happy with mine now but changed set up twice before getting control of luff and leech with sheet

darryl

alpha omega 4.4

The sheet runs from side stay to code 0 to side stay and i can flaten it right of. Note the jib and spinaker cleats

15059575290791311495212.jpg

• 1 year later...

Yeah I tried all sorts of sheeting angles didn't recut sail, just enjoy it. I've done a few crazy adventure long distance day sails with it. Dongara to Geraldton, 65kms, dongara to Keenan, about 80kms. Port Geographe to Augusta about 150km 2 days sailing around cape Natraliste and cape lewin.  Amazing stuff with support boat solo.

Next project is hobie 17 super sport, with furling code 0 and a asymmetric kite in a chute..... New adventures to begin