W14 Square Top Main

Shellgrit

I recently purchased a Windrush 14 with a square top main.  Have sailed with a pin head for a couple of seasons. Have  not able to get the square top to work.  Tell tales seem stalled.  Am being slaughtered on the water.

I would be great full for any tips.

All I know so far is; not over sheeting and they have a narrow groove which I haven't found yet.

Hi Shellgrit,
the battens supplied by Windrush tend to be too soft - which causes a 'hook' in the sail. I changed mine to stiffer ones - supplied by Redhead Sails.

The new battens have the draught further forward, and do not curve back on themselves in the last 2/3rds of their length, like the original ones did...

Especially the top 2 or 3 battens cannot have the maximum draught too far back - and need to be stiffer again than the battens below.
Ideally, you want a 'clean' exit when sheeted on - and if the sail is 'hooking' - that would account for the telltales stalling.

Keep n mind that you do want the telltales to be on the verge of stalling - on some points of sail - as this is when the sail is working optimally.
But this is a BIG topic to get into... and a lot will depend on the mast too.
From my years in the class, I understand that there can be a significant variation in the stiffness and bend characteristics of masts.

So, a mismatched mast/sail combo can definitely slow you down.
If you can get a local sailmaker to inspect the sail on the boat, that will be invaluable…

Thanks Prince Planet for your helpful post. I think my problem may be more basic.  The boat, as is, has done well under the previous owner in competitions. I am sailing cat rigged and the sail feels like a wet blanket; unresponsive. Sail tell tales unresponsive to sheet tension. Middle leach tell tales constantly hooked forward.   Could you suggest any more basic issues that I could check?

One fellow sailor I checked with says he doesn't look at his tell tales so should I be looking for some other guide?

OK, this post really should be transferred to the Windrush Sailors Forum - where u will get a lot of good advice.
However, the way you're trimming the sail, luff tension, traveler position etc etc - can all have dramatic effects.

You may also be trying to point too high - so an understanding of when to bear away and when to 'pinch' is critical...

But, as I said, if the sail is 'hooking' - then that needs to be rectified by stiffer battens, tighter luff tension, and possibly a re-cut to more closely match the mast curve.
That can only be ascertained by a trained eye - so get the boat rigged up in front of a sailmaker who understands catamaran sails...

Where r u located? Do you have any means of comparison?

Have posted on Windrush sailors forum..

Have been working on pointing/bearing away. At the last sail in light winds I was not able to point as well as the rest which is bad for cat rigged. I can experiment with luff tension at no expense. Just to check, you are saying that middle leach tell tale hooking is due to soft battens?

Am in Perth in a club and can seek some advice there.

1/

Prince is spot on with the hooking sail description and what you have described is exactly a hooked main problem...... so.....

2/

Question.... have you adjusted the batterns since ownership or altered the rig setup ???

3/ 

Have you contacted the original owner for assistance ?

That would be my next step seeing you said he'd done well with the setup.

4/

Other factors can effect pointing ability, mast rake, your body position, incorrect rig tension, etc etc...... 1 or 2 "issues" can usually be sorted easily enough, its a nightmare when there are multiple issues causing a single problem. .....

Like I said earlier. ..... contact the previous owner

Cheer

Pirate, thanks.

Have increased tension on battens as the mid battens had creases vertical across them. So I tensioned them until the batten pocket was smooth.

Put mast one notch forward to counter for lack of a jib as I sail cat rigged. that's all. When sheeted on the leach of sail looked hooked so kept the main sheet a little looser when sailing. 

I sail with body as far forward as I is comfortable without nose diving.  Stays are just loose i.e. about a centimetre play on the side stays.

Top of sail looks creased.

Can you pull  the main sheet block to block with a square top ? You do this with a pin head to flatten the sail.

Archived