Hobie 17 FOR SALE

SteveBell

HOBIE 17 FOR SALE

Mid-1990s hulls and beams.

2 sails - 1 brand new (never used - manufactured 10/05), 1 used

Tramp (old-style black one) just repaired and is nice and strong

Brand new sailbox

Beach rollers

12 months rego on a Mackay trailer (some rust, but easily treatable)

All the metal work (i.e. beams, mast & wings) on this boat is in very good condition with no corrosion (except for the trailer).

The mainsheet has a brand new lower block with a 7:1 system and brand new mainsheet.

Brand new Areba stick telescopic tiller extension included

I need to sell my boat because I have heavy work and travel commitments, so I just can't sail it any more. Please make an offer.

Asking $6000

Boat is located in Canberra

Call Steve on 0408 001 329 or (02) 6268 8072

• 6 months later...

Steve

I am interested but live in Melbourne.

Is the trailer in reasonable shape to tow it to Victoris?

does it sail OK?

may I see a photo somehow of both boat and trailer?

I have teenage kids and we have never owned a sailing boat - is this easy to manage family catamaran?

what are they worth new?

thanks

Andy Lloyd

Originally posted by SteveBell:

HOBIE 17 FOR SALE

Mid-1990s hulls and beams.

2 sails - 1 brand new (never used - manufactured 10/05), 1 used

Tramp (old-style black one) just repaired and is nice and strong

Brand new sailbox

Beach rollers

12 months rego on a Mackay trailer (some rust, but easily treatable)

All the metal work (i.e. beams, mast & wings) on this boat is in very good condition with no corrosion (except for the trailer).

The mainsheet has a brand new lower block with a 7:1 system and brand new mainsheet.

Brand new Areba stick telescopic tiller extension included

I need to sell my boat because I have heavy work and travel commitments, so I just can't sail it any more. Please make an offer.

Asking $6000

Boat is located in Canberra

Call Steve on 0408 001 329 or (02) 6268 8072

Hello Andy,

Unfortunately my boat has been sold already, but I'll try and answer your questions.

A new Hobie 17 is worth something like $15 000 (or there abouts). Go to the Hobie Cat Australia website (www.hobiecat.com.au) and get in contact with your local dealer for a quote. I think the main dealer down in Victoria is Scott Lovig, but check the website anyway. For more local links check the Victorian Hobie Cat Association's website as well (www.hobievic.org.au).

As far as buying a Hobie 17 as a first boat for a family, you might want to look at the Hobie 16. They are a lot more forgiving than most boats, they're pretty easy to sail and they have plenty of room. You might even like to check out the Hobie Getaway, which is part of Hobie's newer roto-moulded plastic line of models (instead of fibreglass). The Getaway has plenty of room and you virtually can't break them.

Hope I've been of assistance.

Kind regards,

Steve

• 2 months later...

Hi Andy,

Just a suggestion I would have a look at a club you are likely to sail and see what types of boats are there as it will make sailing that little bit better and you will also be able to learn a little more about setting up your boat and give you comparisons as to how you're going. I'm also from melbourne and the clubs do vary a fair bit in there classes.

Archived