How should i fix this???

Robbieandrew

So, half way through a beautiful day of sailing on my calypso 16 i heard a pop, then a few more pops and soon realised that a few of the rivits on my trampoline track had come undone. Pretty stupid of me to have confidence in some 30 year old pop rivits, but anyway, what I want to know now is the best way to fix them.

I've never been a fan of rivits, I'm thinking it would be best to use some high quality marine grade stainless steel screws to hold it back in place, some that are a bit fatter than the pre existing holes, but i'm not exactly sure if that would be best.

Does any one have any other suggestions?

I'd just put some glue in the holes so that the old rivets won't rattle and then re-rivet it half way between the existing rivets.

alternatively someone was selling a pair of 16' calypso hulls recently for $200, but I can't find them now. If they're still for sale just replace the hull.

EDIT: Here's the advert, unfortunately they're in QLD though.

http://www.muamat.com/classifieds/754/posts/2_Vehicles/15_Boats/5519777__calypso_catamaran_hulls_and_rudders_5metre.html

The easiest way, fill the existing holes with bog, re drill between existing holes, use 3/16" alloy rivets, (Monel or stainless will crack the glass as they pull up), that are 3/16" to 1/4" longer than the depth of the new hole. Use Sikaflex as a sealer adhesive on the track when re riveting. Using "Duralac" on the rivets will double their corrosion free life.

Thanks for the suggestions! Sounds good. A few Questions

1. Would something like "Sellys Knead it" work the same as Bog? (I'm familiar with using knead it where as Bog is new to me)

2. Drilling new holes between the existing ones shouldn't weaken the hull too much?

3. Would it be ok to use the existing holes at all? eg at each end? Or would that not be advisable

Cheers Again

post-5814-13776299702356_thumb.jpg

Bog is f/glass resin with a filler, like q cells, added. Knead it, will work. Drilling extra holes shouldn't effect the strength of the hulls in any way. Use the original holes if you can drill them cleanly (you need to punch out the mandrel of the old rivet then your drill will run through the centre)

Fibreglass rivets would be better, also known as Peel rivets, they don't stress the 'glass rather they peel back like a banana as the name suggests. I've used ally large head rivets on the Hydra as I couldnt get peels locally unless I bought 1000, after now fixing 4 tramp tracks I wish I hada bought the damn box.

So one more thing I wanted to ask, As I can't get washers on the inside of the hulls or anything, I was thinking of using a slightly larger rivet (3/16") so the surface area in contact with the boat would be bigger meaning less pressure etc. However, this would mean drilling both the tramp track and holes in the hull a bit bigger. Is that a really bad Idea?

Not at all good, hope it gets better.

I did one side of my Maricat with the standard rivetter before driving around to Darcy's to borrow his concertina set. I've since bought one of my own, a chinese one for $20. Needed adjusting before it worked but just so much better, particularly for those long rivets.

As they say "experience is what you get just after you needed it most" (then I found this! http://www.bored.com/findquotes/cate_11_Experience.html)

I was going to add that riveting pliers are not the best for any rivet 3/16" or over, either use the concertina type or air riveters, seems I don't have to. If its any consolation I stuck a pozidrive bit thru my finger the other day when screwing trim back onto an old caravan, then later the same day I was putting the inside trim on and air nailed the end of my thumb, same hand. Beer fixed it. Mate down the road managed to put 2 75mm framing nails into his leg recently, don't use your thigh as a workbench for a framing gun.

• 1 month later...

Archived