5.0 Tuning Secrets....

Guest obsession2016

Guest obsession2016

Apart from rudder rake and mast rake adjustments, can anyone share some tuning tips with me re my 5.0. Have read the manual's tuning guide but am calling on experienced 5.0 people for the 'secret' stuff ! ; also need to know the best way to prevent/reduce jib clew/shackle/block tangles around the base and front of the mast; the boat I have does not have a bridle etc. Pretty stock standard and is an ex UQ club boat (signs of alot of repairs!!).

Hi Obsession...I had a 5.0 (Sail #2125) for 4 years (recently went to a 5.8) but to reduce the tangles, we tied a small length of spectra (about 12 inches) around the front of the mast where the spreader wires join the mast near the base with a small plastic sister clip style hook on it. The spreaders wires prevent the loop around the mast sliding down. We then joined another sister clip to this and ran a length of shock cord long enough to reach the same arrangement (spectra with sister clip) in the middle of the front foil. We then just made sure we had the jib sheets over this. It is also an advantage to run a piece of cord from the front of the rotation spanner to the same shock cord on the mast to help ensure the spanner stays horizontal.

The most useful tuning tip i found that was really useful was....keep your weight together and as far forward on the boat as you can. They love having the bow deep (only a couple of inches above the surface) on upwind and downwind.

Great boat! Have fun!

Archived