Nacra 14/16

Guest Newbie

Can anyone advise if the 14 or 16 is a good beginner boat? I have some sailing experience in mono hulls, advice from others suggest Hobie 14 or 16's are better for Newbies feed back appreciated. Can the 16 be set up for 2up racing?

Thanks

Hi,

The NACRA 16 sq is mainly set up for 1 person. The nacra 5.0 is a good starting boat .It is a 2 person boat but have seen a lot of people sail it 1 up in light winds.

All Nacras are built strong .

Hobie 16 are another good boat to start on but they realy require 2 people on them.

Other cheep boats to concider are Calypso 14&16, Windrush14,Murrie cats 14.

Best places to look are the tradeing posts ore the NACRA dealers ore Hobie dealers.

Hope this is some help

Oldie

Hi, I believe when you said "Murrie cats 14" that you ment a Maricat 4.3 (correct spelling and use of the metric system like the makers). These are a good boat great for beginers, I started catsailing in a Maricat sloop. There is a Cat rig for sailing one up and also a super sloop. The super sloop has the full sloop rig(main and jib) with a trap, but they can become a bit of a handful when tacking and trying to change over the jib while helming in strong wind.

Archived