5.8 Jib Halyard

RJ

I am having troubles with the mast cleat stripping the sheath from my jib halyard.

Basically, the sheath breaks under tension and parts leaving the core un damaged. I have replaced the halyard and the cleat but it keeps occuring. Maybe I need a thicker halyard? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This is happening because you are probably seting your jib luff tension while the mast is bent. When you tack or jibe the mast will straighten making the tension on the halyard rope increase heaps.

Most people now use a system where you feed the halyard back down the luff of the jib when you are hoisting it.

They then have an adjustment on or usingthe bridle foil. Most of the top guys do not adjust the jib luff tension while racing, so they just tye it.

You can mount a cleat on the front chainplate along with a pully that will give you a simple system. The crew will need to go to the bow to adjust the tension before the start.

This system is great because the mast bend has no effect on the jib luff tension.

Regards

Chris Dean

www.sailingsupplies.com.au

This is happening because you are probably seting your jib luff tension while the mast is bent. When you tack or jibe the mast will straighten making the tension on the halyard rope increase heaps.

Most people now use a system where you feed the halyard back down the luff of the jib when you are hoisting it.

They then have an adjustment on or usingthe bridle foil. Most of the top guys do not adjust the jib luff tension while racing, so they just tye it.

You can mount a cleat on the front chainplate along with a pully that will give you a simple system. The crew will need to go to the bow to adjust the tension before the start.

This system is great because the mast bend has no effect on the jib luff tension.

Regards

Chris Dean

www.sailingsupplies.com.au

Archived