Help with re-assembly

steve_garlick

After spending zillions of hours fairing and repainting my 5.8, I was re-assembling the boat (dying for a sail on Sunday) when disaster struck.

One of the forward beam strap bolts stripped (or the insert became detached) and I heard something drop into the bottom of the hull.

I said damn!!

Can any-one tell me what the fix is? I hope it isn't to cut a hole in the side of the hull to put in a new insert!!!

I've tried ringing Bris Cat Centre, but there's no-one there on Saturday.

IT WOULDN'T HAVE DROPPED INTO THE HULL THEY ARE GLASSED IN ,IF YOU OVERTIGHTEN IF IT THE (BRASS/STAINLESS CAN'T REMEMBER IT'S BEEN A WHILE )WILL PULL OUT ,COME OUT THE TOP THROUGH THE DECK,I HAD AN OLD BOAT AND I ENDED UP REGLASSING IN 3 OF THE SUCKERS OVER ABOUT 3/4, YEARS NEVER HAVE ANY DRAMER AFTER THAT,,AND ONE OF THE BACK BEAM ONES ONE TIME STRIPPED SO I GOT THE NEXT SIZE TAP AND THE CORROSPONDING S/S BOLT AND I WAS IN BUISNESS AGAIN ,,,

THE STRIPPED ONE WAS A PIECE OF PISS TO FIX ,IF YOU GOT ALL THE GEAR IT WILL TAKE ABOUT 1/2 HR

THE OTHERS I HAD TO GRIND OUT THE GLASS AROUND THE BEAM AND PUT ABOUT 1/2 AN INCH OF GLASS OVER IT,WHEN YOU BED THE NUT BACK IN(THE SQ OR RECTANGLE BIT OF METAL WITH THE THREAD THROUGH IT ,PUT A SMALL PIECE OF MASKING TAPE OVER THE HOLE JUST BIG ENOUGH TO COVER THE HOLE ,THEN GET A NICKO AND COLOR IN TO HOLE ,SO WHEN YOU GLASS OVER IT YOU CAN SEE THE HOLE THROUGH THE GLASS SO YOU KNOW WHERE TO REDRILL THE HOLE,,,

Problem resolved. Previous owner had one bolt with a different thread. Putting this back in the wrong hole wound out the helicoils (thread must have been stripped previously). All I need do is insert new helicoils, maybe clean up the thread. Thanks to Steve Y. for the fix!

Dave, no-one told me about being OOD, am I not on the mailing list? I get Jacqui's emails. Hope to be back on the river next weekend.

Steve

Archived