jib sheet

stranded

When I bought my 5.0 it has a short length of rope attaching the jib sheet to the jib. My old boat (calypso) had a twisted shackle. Is the rope used for a reason? If there is no real reason rope is used I'd rather a shackle.

I'm also interested in methods people use to tie off their jib and main up haul ropes. My mast has one cleat and I'm not sure what how to tie the jib up haul off as it is too small a diameter to cleat off well in the cleat.

Thanks

Richard

Unfortunately I am unable to make it to the nationals even to have a look. If some one has a good picture of a 5.0 rigged (mast & jib) that would be great. I will make do with how I think it should be if need. But I would like it right before I take it to Cootharaba in a few weeks time.

Thanks

Richard

hi richard,

if your not going to cootharaba for a couple of weeks, see if you can get to one of the sailing clubs prior,Humpybong,or Cleveland, I am sure you will benefit from a visit to other sailors.

pete smile.gif

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 01 January 2007).]

Pete,

How good is your memory!!!

Dad actually helped me to rig the 5.0 the other day and he also finds the set up strange. The sirroco has two cleats - one for jib & one for the main. On my 5.0 there isn't even a place where the 2nd cleat should be.

There however two small saddles on the front of the mast. One is for the mast spanner, the other (higher) has no apparent use. The higher saddle had a bungy cord and a hook tied to it when I bought the boat, it was used to loop around the mast during transport.

Thanks for the suggestion - I might check out Humpybong at some stage.

Richard

The bungy should go to the front foil to keep the jib sheets away from the mast rotator and diamonds. It hooks into the front ring for the jib. I am not sure what you mean about the cleats. Anyway, there are 8 5.0s at the nationals rigged on the grass .. maybe you can get down there after work and have a look at them.

I hope this helps.

john

Archived