Downwind on a 16sq

johnt

John I have just been trying to trim my 14sq under the same conditions.

Certainly I find that if you use little traveller and more sheet on close to mid reaches I have a lot less healing moment and less nose dive.

As you go downwind more you can let the inhaul out more and downhaul off etc.

But if it is blowing crazy keeping this tight will maintain trim.

In lighter wind there is a cut off when it becomes faster to head strait down wind and stop tacking. At that point the bigger the belly the better.

Not the same boat but similar.

Originally posted by johnt:

I have been playing around with combinations of traveller and main sheet settings downwind. What is better.. more out on the traveller and less main sheet or more main and less traveller?

Any advice would be great.

john

Running square, traveller all the way our and main sheet out as far as you can without putting too much presure on the batterns with the side stay.

Mast fully rotated, c/boards up, BOTH RUDDERS DOWN, Cunningham off, sit far enough forward to get the transoms out of the water without risking pitch pole.

[This message has been edited by tornado (edited 30 January 2007).]

Along with downhaul off (few or no wrinkles please), rotation pulled around to 90 degrees and outhaul off...

Tacking downwind, most of the top guys are running with traveller out to about the foot-strap and mainsheet eased to induce (enough) twist to get their telltales all flowing. (Apparent wind @ 90 degrees).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

wink.gif

P.S. Generally speaking, wrinkles of any kind are slow... Ever tried to push an oyster into a coin slot, Ever seen a plane flying with wrinkled wings?

[This message has been edited by Leapin Leroy (edited 31 January 2007).]

Archived