Nacra 14sq

Ralph123

I'm interested in getting into cat sailing and from the enquiries I have made a Nacra 14 sq looks like it would suit me (no friends, 80kg). So I'm wondering if there are any 14sq's for sale out there. I've heard that the lower price range, which is what I'm interested in at this stage, is around $2500 to $3500. I'm in the sydney area.

Thanks.

there where a few 14 sq getting around sydney. it would be worth getting onto kurnell cat club and putting a post on there web site or there notice board. the other thing to do is place a wanted ad in the trading post that works really well. we are also getting a few 14,s in the nacra super series so a nacra would be the way to go. i have yet to see a mossie (other than the ones that bite you)at any regatta i have been too in the last 5 years so not sure how strong there fleet is (i haven't attened any 14ft regattas so they may get some there) wish you good hunting REV

I know of a beauty 14sq for sale (I know its a ripper because it used to be mine). It is sail #19 (the original Interceptor). It has two sails, a ripper I bought of Jake (Reb) at the Nationals at Cootharaba, and a new one I bought with the boat. I pretty much sold the boat after half a season and I know the new sail hasn't done much work. I put a new tramp on it. It has been subsequently owned by two ladies who probably sailed it four times between them. I rang Christine just now and she wants $3,500.00 for it. Give her a call on 0414 60 3335. If the deal works out you owe me a bottle of rum.

Regards

Bucko

hi,

as I have often stated in this and other forums.

" When buying a used boat, it is better to buy a boat that is still in production, has reliable dealers, and easy access to spare parts and advice".

I am not downgrading used mosquitos , or any other classes, but most of the non-production boats are 'home built', and are only generally rigged (built) to last for a couple of seasons. I know that some of them are beautifully built, but they usually require non-standard parts, and are only sailed in a few areas.

This is my opinion, and I am sure will raise the ire of many of their devotees,

but I know from many years of experience what the real deal is.

pete smile.gif

PS.

If you want to critisize me , lets do it on the open forum , "The Coffee Shop",

and not try and hi-jack another classes forum.

pete wink.gif

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 07 February 2007).]

I've got an ad in the Kurnell "notice board" Rev but nothing has come of it yet, but as you say the trading post sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip Bucko, I'll give Christine a call and have a chat with her. Hopefully a bottle of rum will be coming your way! I hear what you are saying pete

Hey Ralph

Just looking at my post again, I might have mislead when I said "new sail I bought with the boat".

Many folk will buy ancient boats with "new" sails.

The new sail did not come with the boat. I bought the sail from the Bris Cat Centre, battens, outhaul car and track which cost in the neighbourhood of $2k (add to this the cost of the new tramp).

I bought a new 16sq and sold the boat to someone in my club for the same money that I would have got as a trade in. I was interested in seeing the fleet grow as opposed to making profit.

The boat is a beauty.

Hope to see you on the water.

Regards

Bucko

Archived