Nacra 5.8 techniques

hzeeman

After having sailed 6 races in light conditions at Trial bay I just had to ask what may appear to be very obvious to Nacra sailors but ot to a ex stingray sailor. Sailing without a boom is so different, on a S/ray I would still crank on the main when working but would have the mast rotation right out allowing a full sail forward. When cranking on the Nacra, the main sail became as flat as a plank thus reducing a lot of lift? What's everyone's thoughts on this. Should I have moved the mainsheet hook back a couple of spaces on the main sail. never gave it a thought at the time

i only use the middle hole in the clue board unless it's blowing 25 plus then go one forward. at the states we we pulled downhaul on just enough to pull full shape into the sail then didn't touch it for any of the 6 races. main sheet hard on up wind with traveler centered. down wind traver out about 40cm and main about 40cm between blocks. not sure what gerald did with the barberhauls down wind but we was using them, and we was using rotation down wind as well.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a pity, there will still be a few beers on our verandah. What's the story with leaving a rigged boat on council foreshore, haven't we got permission to do that as part of the regatta? Or does it specify the foreshore we are allowed to use.

• 1 month later...

Outhaul settings on the boomless 5.8 are directly responsible for rotation performance of the rig. Goose marine will tell you the current settings for what has been proven with tight diamond settings and I urge you to look at this well. We sail with the full rotation tuneing, this means we run looser diamonds as wind increases then diamonds are loosened. If using this system we rely on rotation and mast bend to de power without losing pointing ability. As gusts hit the mast will rotate more but if the outhaul is to tight it will restrict the rotation and not de power and also if the leach is kept tight it will maintain good height which is also one tool to depower through gusts. This tune was unbeatable in the 90's and i still prefer it today, but it requires the crew to work downhaul and maybee lock rotation in windy conditions. If the crew fail to keep on top of tacking with rotation it can get very upsetting during close racing.Racing in WA against ryan who uses the new or Goose setup I cant say which is faster but i have noticed that loose diamonds seem to give more pointing ability in windy conditions.

As in all high performance sailing it is the last 5% of boat speed which is the hardest to find and takes a lot of setup and tune, and what works for one will be slightly different for another. Find someone who sails like you and with you then adopt their setting and make slight changes and see what works, but don't stray to far from the base settings.

I aim to be at 2007/8 nationals and will be running loose settings and will be looking forward to see comparasins between the two.

seeeeyou.

Archived