What boat to buy

I am new to sailing and wish to buy a cat suitable for myself and 10 year old son. Our total weight is roughly 110 kilos. At times we would also like to go cruising with the whole family of four. Is there a boat out there that anyone recommends with a price up to $2500. A Calypso 16 has been suggested by a friend - any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have a Calypso 16 and find it great ... its not the quickest boat at the club but it is a great allrounder.

Hobies and nacras are probably a quicker craft but that all depends on who is sailing them. The best advice I can give you is to join a club .. I spent 12 months with my first craft .. a Hobie 14 ... and I learnt more in 3 outings with the club than I did in that 12 months on my own !!

Once you join a club you will find that you get a lot more enjoyment out of your cat.

Things that you need to think about are ... how to rig the boat .. how to handle the changing conditions ... what are the sail and rigging like .. a club will save you big dollars in the long run

Good Luck and keep us posted on how you get on

Originally posted by fantom:

I have a Calypso 16 and find it great ... its not the quickest boat at the club but it is a great allrounder.

Hobies and nacras are probably a quicker craft but that all depends on who is sailing them. The best advice I can give you is to join a club .. I spent 12 months with my first craft .. a Hobie 14 ... and I learnt more in 3 outings with the club than I did in that 12 months on my own !!

Once you join a club you will find that you get a lot more enjoyment out of your cat.

Things that you need to think about are ... how to rig the boat .. how to handle the changing conditions ... what are the sail and rigging like .. a club will save you big dollars in the long run

Good Luck and keep us posted on how you get on

Thanks for the advice on clubs, it's probably the way to go if I can try several types of cats before buying one, however the local club here (Humpybong Yacht Club)seems to be mainly into very expensive craft with many around $20000.

Can you tell me if I can expect to get a decent Calypso 16 under $2500?

Lake Samsonvale is probably a better club for your purpose. It has a wide range of boats and skill levels. the Calypso 16 seems a good choice and should be able to be bought in reasonable condition for your price range. Calypso Sailcraft at Sandgate might be able to help. The Lake Samsonvale contact is Cliff Heath who might also know of some boats for sale. A Nacra 5.2 might also suit and be in the price range. The Lake Samsonvale website with contact details is http://www.lswsa.org.au/

no matter which club that you go to it might be a bit hard to try out other peoples boats... do you know what you are looking for if you did try out a craft? Can you sail? what is your experience level etc.

if you are genuine about buying a cat and can get to Cleveland Yacht Club on a Sunday I will take you for a short sail on mine. We have races on Sundays and time can be limited.

Archived