weight distrubution

Bradk

hi guys

Just wanted to ask about the best position on board a 5.8 for crew and skipper to be as to get the weight distrbition right? we seem to be able to point better with my crew standing in front of the front beam and myself as far forward as posible . is there a better position ? total weight for the 2 of us is just under 200kgs.

i always want my crew in front of the beam going into the wind. if light winds i want them in front of the beam but on the leaward side. downwind i like them just behind the beam, windward side in heavy,leaward in light. in the lighter stuff it is very important to get the weight forward.

Howdy Brad,

Also remember to keep your crew weight together in the same line athwartships, relative to fore & aft trim...

In other words, if you are trapping together on the windward side, stand (literally) shoulder to shoulder, keep your weight "together", if the crew is in-board and you are out on trap he (or she) should be sitting between your feet. If the crew is to leeward, make sure you are in a similar position on the windward side... (One in front of the main beam, the other sitting on it or immediately behind, keep yourselves "lined up" across the boat)...

What all this does is concentrate your centre of gravity and hence the pivot/turning moment... The boat is easier to steer, with less input from the nut on the tiller, hey presto it goes faster...

Good Luck, go hard, you're on a Nacra, so you've already proven your superior intelligence and taste... LOL

Regards,

Leroy wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Leapin Leroy (edited 17 July 2007).]

Guest Cormeister

One of the best ways to find the best position to trapeze on your boat is to try different positions whilst sailing to windward on a constant heading (preferably in a non fluctuating breeze) you will find a location that feels good through the helm and the boat maintains good height without pushing too much water over the bow, this spot may well very due to crew weight, wave size and wind strength. Trapping sholder to sholder is best in most conditions, however in medium wind srengths with sloppy seas the boat may tend to hobby horse (this is nit fast) try moving apart slightly to detune the hobby horsing, if you are really keen try finding a copy of "High Performance Sailing" by Frank Bethwaite most of it is rather advanced and may do your head in but there is a lot of useful information in this book, you may notice the book is aimed at monos and dingies (infact he seams to hate cats in most cases) but the information is still relevant for most cats. You should find some details about preventing hobby horsing on page 307 (my copy of this book is not the current publishing so this may be a little different) monos will suffer from this more but you will still notice it on your 5.8.

Good Luck

Thanks guys for the information paid more attention to where we were in relation to one and other on saturday and boat was better , still not as good as i think it should go but we r working on it. I would like to ask about diamond stays and get some advice as to how tight or loose to run them . We changed the spreader rake to 44mm and got more performance out of the boat, which is good but unsure of what to do with the diamonds . Have read gooses setup for the 5.8 but didnt totally understand what he was trying to explain .

What's your all up crew weight?

D'oh, just read the 1st post... I'd be going forward with the spreaders to line up with the trailing edge of the mast, then tighten the f*#k/ hell out of the diamonds to stiffen it up...

Regards,

Leroy wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Leapin Leroy (edited 24 July 2007).]

we have a crew weight of about 175kg and we run 36mm on the spreader rake and diamond wires fairly tight to give us a powered up rig, crazy bouys are very simular too our set up with a 200kg crew weight. make sure you have a good down haul system so you can drop the power out of the top of the rig in stonger winds. mast rake will also be an issue, start with it in the middle of the port hole then go back or forward from there. i would not go any further forward than the front of the port hole. hope this help REV

Archived