Nacra 4.5

FireKat

would like the opinion of a 4.5 owner as to whether they think a 60kg person could comfortably right a 4.5 on their own and if it would then take a crew of 2 weighing about 130kg. I understand that only 1 person can trapeze on a 4.5 and/or a 14sq. So are these 2 boats much of a muchness? the only off-putting thing then about the 14sq is the sail shape when 2 people are on it. Does the 4.5 have a square bottom sail? Can anyone post a picture of an older model 4.5 - cant seem to find one. Does anyone know of one coming up for sale?

FireKat,

If you put your email address up I will send you the photos of my 4.5 as sent to me when I was buying it. It is about 15+ years old (sale no. 42). I don't have any with the sail(s) up but I'm sure it is a square bottom main. I have taken a friend out and we had no troble getting from side to side if that is your problem. Remember there is no boom so that makes it a bit easier.

As for righting it - I have not had a go at that yet!! I have suggested at the club that we all have a go at it while the rescue boat is around to help get us out of trouble if needed so I will bring it up again when the new season starts. The 4.5 does not have centre boards so I am expecting it will be a bit more difficult to right for that reason.

Mike

Hi Firekat,

I read your earlier posting and you sound the prefect weight for a 5.0. If crew is a problem then definitely go for the 14Sq. I had a 5.0 and went to a 16sq (due to being heavier) and never regretted it.

As for two up and the sail, don't worry. The 16Sq has a similar shape sail. I take it out two up socially some times - just one crew through at a time. You could try putting an extra trap on it, but talk to the boys at BBC.

john

Thanks John

i wrote a couple of emails to 'the boys at BCC' and got no response, so i guess im kinda holding a grudge *smile - for the moment anyway. Thing is, it has been suggested that i would not be able right a 5.0 on my own should i fall over (which is very likely) other than that i would love the 5.0. Am thinking now that the 14sq is not going to be as comfortable with 2. Obviously it is perfect for 1.

There seems to be only one solution to my problem....MIKE NEEDS TO SELL ME HIS BOAT!!

hee hee.

A bottle of rum to whoever finds me a 4.5!

(That seems to be the accepted bribing tool on this forum)

Hi Firekat,

The shape of the mainsail on the 4.5 is different from the 14 square. There is plenty of room for the crew to change sides during a tack.

With regard to versatility of the 4.5, I have raced both solo and with crew. I have also taken 2 adults and 2 children out for social sailing. The 4.5 has more bouyancy than the 14 square and can carry a heavier payload.

I can easily right the 4.5 on my own. I am 6'2" and 75kg. It all depends on the orientation of the boat with respect to the wind. If the wind is blowing onto the trampoline it can be near impossible to right. At 60kg you may find it hard to right on your own, but I can't say for sure unless you try.

Brad

Hey Brad

I think i am pretty much sold on the 4.5. i cant go any smaller if i want to take others out as well. i would be happy to use a righting bucket to add to my body weight to right it, and a bob on the mast while im learning. The selling points for me about the 4.5 is the small size, good bouyancy, sail shape, sleek hull design and the speed. Ive decided that it will be enough to trapeze my crew member only ( i cant have all the fun, all the time!)

Thanks for your input.

Hey Brad

I am coming to the regatta this weekend at Cootharaba. As a matter of fact i am racing as well - with Barry on his 5.2. (He obviously has no intention of 'placing' with a novice on board! Bless his soul..) I will DEF be keeping my eye out for any 4.5s....and may even hit you up to take me for a quick spin! *big smile. At the very least i will want to ask you a million questions. See you there.

Originally posted by FireKat:

Hey Brad

I am coming to the regatta this weekend at Cootharaba. As a matter of fact i am racing as well - with Barry on his 5.2. (He obviously has no intention of 'placing' with a novice on board! Bless his soul..) I will DEF be keeping my eye out for any 4.5s....and may even hit you up to take me for a quick spin! *big smile. At the very least i will want to ask you a million questions. See you there.

What!!! .... I have No intention of placing?

Bloody hell Toni, I'm counting on YOU to get us onto the podium. LOL

Maybe if Brad is agreeable, he might allow you to "gently" roll his 4.5 on it's side in the shallow water of the lake, and give you a go at righting it on your own? Theres no better way to see if you can get a 4.5 back up again on your own than to give it a go.

Cheers

Barry

*chuckle. All i know is that if we can fly the hull, maybe pitch-pole, get some bruises and yell at each other through the rain - i will have had a good time!! If i dont get any broken bones and hypothermia, i will have had an even better time!

Brad sounds like a pretty decent guy....so yeah....maybe with a bit of gentle persuasion he can be coaxed into letting me try to right his 4.5 *waggin eyebrows with a smile.

I should say that I experienced my first nosedive at Lake Cootharaba. Quit a spectacular crash while attempting a gybe in strong wind. The lake is not very deep and I finished up with mud on the bow.

I will have to speak to the other woman (my crew), but I'm sure I could arrange a demonstration of how to capsize.

We'll be heading up early Saturday morning.

Brad

Originally posted by CleverNickname:

I will have to speak to the other woman (my crew), but I'm sure I could arrange a demonstration of how to capsize.

Brad

Hi Brad,

I was actually thinking that with the help of a few of us blokes, you might be agreeable to gently rolling your boat over onto it's side in shallow water, then give Toni an opportunity to see it she can pull it back upright on her own.

I wouldn't ask you to intentionally sail into a capsize situation, as that might damage the boat.

Cheers

Barry

Archived