The Great Race

Hi All,

Well we completed our first anual Gold Coast to Manly (Brisbane) Marathon of 70km in approx 5.5hrs last week end. This was a fair bit slower than the f18s and nacra 5.8's, but we had an excellent time.

One reach in at least 18-15 knots seemed to take about 1 hour alone. Getting lost, hitting a sand bank, forced into a mark, 2 near capsizes, sunburn and a broken spinnaker pole didn't help us, but made for some great experience (and I forgot to tension the rig). Hope I didn't let the 5.7 side down too much (but we are still learning and my son skippered for the first time and did very well).

I recommend this race as it has it all, great scenery, mix of wind and wave conditions and a taste of the unexpected.

Cheers, Carl AUS 118

Hi Brad,

I expected to see a lot more 4.9s on the water. Actually the RQYS ramp brought back a lot of old memories of my Contender sailing days out of RQ in the 1980,s. It was often interesting approaching the ramp in an 18 knot Northerly, with a fixed rudder and 10 to 20 other boats doing the same. (Aahhh the good old 1980's)

I believe the RQ lawn has not seen this may boats for quite a while. well it still beats sand!

A big thanks also to the "Spider" guys for the help in getting us up the ramp. 5.8 wheels work well on the 5.7.

Thats ok Carl,when are you going to buy a set of pneumatic wheels, they will roll well over the soft sand at Yeppoon.There is racing on down at hervey bay this weekend as part of our inter-city series if you are interested. Steve is going to be there on his 5.7. Hope to see you down there Bruce P (Spider)

Archived